Works with Sonos: AVR Not Finding Sonos Connect

• 2 February 2019
  • 10 replies

Badge
I have a Onkyo TX NR787 AVR that supports the "Works with Sonos" feature. Part of the setup process involves attaching the AVR to your network and letting it search for your Sonos components. However, my AVR can't find any of them. I verified they're on the same subnet. I tried hardwiring them- first to the same switch, and then by connecting to the AVR to the hub on the back of the Sonos Connect. I also tried using wifi.

I did a round of troubleshooting with Onkyo, and they think my receiver is working and can't explain why it can't see the Sonos components.

Any ideas? Did something change in the network discovery protocols in the recent v10 update?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I have the same issue with Onkyo TX-RZ730 & TX-RZ1100. I think, there is a problem with latest Sonos firmware 10.0. I have contacted Sonos support, but they think the problem is on Onkyo side. The ticket number is 583435.
Any support?
Onkyo doesn't do support here, this is a Sonos board. You'll probably need to contact Onkyo on either their own phone line, or their support forum, if they have one.
Install FING on your phone, then scan your network to make sure that FING can discover both the ONKYO and the SONOS units.

Describe your network for us. Which model router are you using? Are there any network switches?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I just purchased a Connect and an Onkyo TX-NR686 reciever that is advertised as Works with Sonos. My receiver cannot find my Connect either. I think the integration between Onkyo and Sonos is broken with the latest Sonos update but neither Onkyo or Sonos understands enough about "Works with Sonos" to help solve it. I called them both for support. Its frustrating because this is the only reason I purchased the Onkyo.
Install FING on your phone, then scan your network to make sure that FING can discover both the ONKYO and the SONOS units.

Describe your network for us. Which model router are you using? Are there any network switches?

All devices are visible in LAN and online. the devices themselves working without problems, but not together after Sonos update v10. I have Apple Extreme router.
Yesterday i've got some firmware update from other manufacturer, that is also partnered with Works with Sonos. iPort Connect remote for Sonos. In description is written: Resolves an issue with Sonos device discovery in newer versions of Sonos. I think, that the problem is on Sonos side.
Both an Onkyo TX-NR686 and now Pioneer VSX-LX303 do not recognize my Connect as a Connected Device so the turn the receiver on from the app feature does not work. I have the Connect input to the receiver and it works fine that way, but I bought the Onkyo and Pioneer for the Works with SONOS feature and I can’t get it to work. I had 4 calls with Onkyo and they could not solve the issue. I returned the Onkyo but it is the same issue with the Pioneer. Perhaps the issue is on the SONOS side?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
If it's a Sonos issue I'm surprised there has been no response from them here. Onkyo owns Pioneer, maybe still their buggy firmware?
Badge
Also having this problem on my new RZ-730. Onkyo hasn't been able to help, and instead points its finger at Sonos.