Workaround for large music collection!

Show first post

157 replies

How can I find out how many tracks/slots that are index already? And how many that are left?
Point a browser to http://x.x.x.x:1400/status/tracks_summary where x.x.x.x is the IP address on one of your Players. You can find this using About My Sonos System on any controller.

In the listing:
  • COUNT is the total number of track slots in use
  • Store Used and Entries Used are index capacity counts related to text strings (file pathnames and metadata)
  • Conflicts can be ignored
Userlevel 2
Thanks Ratty! Worked fine!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Subsonic now comes with built-in support for your Sonos players. Access your personal music library the same way as other Sonos music services like Spotify or Google Play. Not limited to 65,000 songs like the native Sonos controller.

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/sonos.jsp
Userlevel 2
Subsonic now comes with built-in support for your Sonos players. Access your personal music library the same way as other Sonos music services like Spotify or Google Play. Not limited to 65,000 songs like the native Sonos controller.

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/sonos.jsp

Subsonic is interesting. I don't see much info about it on their webpage.

Is it available in the US? It is not listed as a service in my Sonos system.

I see that it transcodes the files on the fly. Can this be turned off, so that the files are streamed in full resolution?

When listening local, are the files streamed full resolution, locally, and not through the cloud?

How light weight of a machine can it be run on? What are the system requirements?
Userlevel 2
I have been able to work around the NAS limitations by using M3U playlist generating software. Then, instead of replicating the folder structure, I have been creating one playlist per artist/album, etc. It is working well.
Badge
Subsonic is interesting. I don't see much info about it on their webpage.

Is it available in the US? It is not listed as a service in my Sonos system.

I see that it transcodes the files on the fly. Can this be turned off, so that the files are streamed in full resolution?

When listening local, are the files streamed full resolution, locally, and not through the cloud?

How light weight of a machine can it be run on? What are the system requirements?

I've been experimenting with Subsonic for a while, and just upgraded to use the Sonos capability. I've got to say, I think they've nailed it as a solution to the 65K problem. It's working flawlessly for me, and very fast.

To answer your questions Chapin:

Yes it is available in the US (or anywhere). You download it from the subsonic.org site. There are a number of install options - Windows, Mac, Linux, ... It requires Java, but the overall system requirements are pretty light. You can even find instructions to install it on a Raspberry Pi.

Once you set it up, you configure the Sonos option in Subsonic, and this adds a Music Service to your Sonos configuration. You can then set up Subsonic just like any other Music Service on the Sonos. Very slick.

You can adjust the transcoding in Subsonic to stream to Sonos in full resolution. The files are streamed locally (although you can get fancy here and stream to a remote Sonos if that's what you want to do...).
Userlevel 2
I've setup my subsonic server on a Mac, but I am trying to add a subsonic account as per the directions on the Sonos Add Service, but everytime I try www.sonos.com/Subsonic/subscribe I get a redirect to the sonos home page and I am unable to create the account.

I tried clearing my cache too, to no avail.

C
Userlevel 2
I have successfully gotten subsonic working, it seems to handle my libaray (94,000 songs) well. There are a couple of caveats. Right now subsonic seems to be having some problems updating its library database, so at times the database is not accurate. I assume this will be fixed. A more fundamental potential problem is that the subsonic library database is built mostly from your directory structure, not by looking at the file tags. Depending on how your directory structure is set up this can make finding things somewhat challenging.
Badge
I have successfully gotten subsonic working, it seems to handle my libaray (94,000 songs) well. There are a couple of caveats. Right now subsonic seems to be having some problems updating its library database, so at times the database is not accurate. I assume this will be fixed. A more fundamental potential problem is that the subsonic library database is built mostly from your directory structure, not by looking at the file tags. Depending on how your directory structure is set up this can make finding things somewhat challenging.

I just decided to buy a Sonos (former Squeezebox user) after much research because of Subsonic. The 65K limit stopped me until I discovered this. I did a ton of research -- very nearly ended up with a HEOS or even a google cast system -- but I really wanted something that had the maturity of Sonos. I didn't want to be a beta tester for Denon's controller app.

Strangely, at least one of Sonos' primary competitors -- Bluesound -- has a similar limit, which I find astonishingly shortsighted in 2015!

Anyway - I'm still brand new but it seems to work very well so far, and being able to stream my library from my cell phone is an added bonus.

So here's what I don't get. There are 3rd party apps that let you stream from Subsonic, and can organize your content by ID3 tags, such as play: Sub for iPhone. So, this does not seem to be a limitation of the server, but rather of the way it integrates with Sonos. Indeed, the changelog for Subsonic mentions browsing by tag vs folder several times over the years, so it seems that this concept exists on the server. I wonder why we don't have the ability to choose how it presents to Sonos?

Which does bring me to the one potential issue with Subsonic... support seems practically nonexistent. The forms have a lot of questions and no answers, there's no obvious link for pro support from the developer (though his email is findable). I'm not worried about the app working, generally, as it's very mature, but generally, the chances of new features being added seems slim.