Answered

Wired or wireless setup

• 7 June 2020
  • 5 replies

I am wondering whether to set up my system as wired or wireless.  I am getting a lot of errors that it can’t find network using the wireless setup or trying to stream music.  I have the cable modem/router my internet provider (cox cable) which is a Technicolor CGM4141. I have a mixture of older and newer products.  I have also have the McAffee security and firewall running downloaded from my provider.  I just now connected one of my Ones instead of using the bridge that came with my original Play 5. I’m not sure if that will make a difference.  I want to use whichever setup which is most dependable.  I also want to use whatever setup doesn't slow down or affect other products in the house. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 June 2020, 02:15

I would personally choose to go with the wired SonosNet Connection. See below…

Cable a single Sonos device direct to your main router (if practicable) and that will move all your Sonos products over to a SonosNet connection.

1. Set the SonosNet channel in “Settings/System/Network” of the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen ‘fixed’ non-overlapping router 2.4ghz channel.
  2. Remove/reset the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet. (This step is optional, if running Sonos Software v11.0 or higher) and do not remove the credentials if you have a Sonos ‘Move’ as that device may require these settings.

Hope that assists.

View original

5 replies

Cable a single Sonos device direct to your main router (if practicable) and that will move all your Sonos products over to a SonosNet connection.

1. Set the SonosNet channel in “Settings/System/Network” of the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen ‘fixed’ non-overlapping router 2.4ghz channel.
  2. Remove/reset the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet. (This step is optional, if running Sonos Software v11.0 or higher) and do not remove the credentials if you have a Sonos ‘Move’ as that device may require these settings.

Hope that assists.

The way I got my sonos Amp to be stable on my wireless connection was by assigning the device a static IP address. After this, I had no problem connecting right as I opened the app or while reconnect when I reset the amp. 

This can work for various devices if you have a router that integrates both the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band.

You can do this by going to 192.168.1.1 on a browser such as Chrome and login into your router. If you haven’t setup your login information, search online for your router’s default credentials. The setting should be somewhere around connect devices. 

Though, wired will always be more stable

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The Bridge is very old technology and usually performs much worse than a Bridge or connecting any but the oldest ZP units to your router.

Hope that assists.

Hi Ken, I am new to Sonos and have bought our first Sonos Arc and Sub Gen 3. I have the Arc connected to router. My question is regarding the one wired device you mentioned. Do I need to  “Disable Wi-Fi”? How do I need to configure the one device directly connected to router? Thanks

Just did some more digging and I think I found my answer: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3237?language=en_US

Basically, the one device connected to router should still have Wi-Fi Enabled.

Then in About My System page, should show the IP of the wired device as Associated Product and All other connected devices should show as WM: 0 (meaning the system is in a wired setup).