Wired and Wireless Together

I've got two Connect:Amps and a Play:1. The two Connect:Amps are connected into a network switch with standard network cables, and the Play:1 needs to connect wirelessly as there are no network cables in the area.
When I go into Settings, Room Settings, select one of the Sonos speakers and select Advanced Room, I get the option to turn Wifi off on the speaker.
When I turn Wifi off on one of the Connect:Amps, everything continues to work fine. When I turn Wifi off on both of the Connect:Amps, the Play:1 drops out of the system and I can't get it back again until I re-enable Wifi on one of the Connect:Amps.
Is it possible to turn the Wifi off on both Connect:Amps, and have them just running via a wired network, and have the Play:1 connecting to my Wifi ? I presume something is going on with Sonos Net being set up from the Connect:Amp and when I turn this off, the Play:1 loses connectivity, but can I force the Play:1 to use Wifi rather than Sonos Net ?.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Hi FunkySi

From the Playing Now screen tap More in the lower right then > Settings > About My Sons System. You'll now see all your speakers. If you are in Boost mode "WM: 0" will appear at the bottom of each speaker description.

Essentially when you wired one of the Connect: Amps you were setting up in Boost mode. From there all you needed to do was add additional Sonos components via setup (i.e. Add a speaker or Sub). The second Connect:AMP nor the Play 1 were required to be wired.

At this junction assuming the Connect:Amps are in Boost mode just add the Play 1 as a speaker. However before you do you'll need to clear any Wi-Fi credentials from the Play: 1.

Follow the instructions in the link:https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3488?language=en_US

To be clear there are times when a second Sonos component may need to be wired if you are experiencing drops or just not able to reach a speaker.

Cheers!
Why would you turn WiFi off on the Connect:Amp?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Having the Connects wired puts your system in Boost mode, the Play 1 then joins them on their SonosNet WiFi. When you turn off the WiFi on both Connects you have also turned off the network connection the Play 1 was using leaving it isolated.

It might be possible to set the Play 1 up to use your home WiFi instead of the SonosNet from the Connects if you have the WiFi turned off in both, I'm guessing that would be a non-supported configuration and prone to "interesting" problems.

Unless you have a very good reason to turn off the WiFi on a Sonos device it is not a good idea to do that.
Thanks for the replies. I was trying to turn wireless off because I was getting drop outs on some of the speakers and felt that a wired connection would be faster and more stable than wireless. The Connect:Amps are literally on top of a network switch in a cupboard, so have limited wireless coverage but could easily have a wired connection. When I wired them in without turning off the Wifi, my network kept dropping which I was assuming was due to loops. Turned wireless off and the network stayed up.
When I just had a single Play:1, that was using my Wifi without issue as there was no need for Sonos Net, so I knew it could do it.
Provided a wired connection takes priority over Wifi and / or Sonos Net on a speaker, then I could probably get it all working. Does anyone know if that's the case ?
Wired is preferred over wireless if it's an available path. And as already noted a wireless player will connect to a wired player via the SonosNet dedicated mesh.

If you really want to force the system into 'mixed mode' with the Play:1 on your WiFi (not SonosNet) then go to Settings/Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup and enter the WiFi credentials.

If the system won't let you into Wireless Setup, temporarily re-enable the SonosNet radio (misleadingly named "WiFi") in Advanced Room settings on both Connect:Amps, make the changes, then disable the radios again afterwards. Note that after any change you should wait for 2-3 mins in case the Play:1 needs to flip over between operating modes.

In mixed mode the Play:1 will show WM:1 in About My Sonos System, and the wired players WM:0.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'd look into your network to see why you are having loop issues, Sonos has a naughty hardware list but possibly you have a setting somewhere that is messing up the Spanning Tree Protocol, STP.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/41?language=en_US
Thanks for all your advice. Managed to get it working as required now.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings