Will this setup work?

Hello, will this setup work? Am I thinking this right?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Only if the DAC has an input selector.

Also, turntables don’t usually provide a digital output. PORT accepts only analog inputs.

If your CD player provides an analog output the easiest path is to connect the turntable and CD player analog outputs to an analog selector switch connected to PORT’s Line-In.

Your record player has a digital output, requiring a DAC? That sounds pretty unlikely, considering it’s an inherently analog device.

Is your CD transport really just that, without a integral DAC? 

Why do you need a Port, when the Five already has an analog Line-In?

Surely you just need an input selector switch, taking as inputs the record player and CD, with an output into the Five. 

Only if the DAC has an input selector.

Also, turntables don’t usually provide a digital output. PORT accepts only analog inputs.

If your CD player provides an analog output the easiest path is to connect the turntable and CD player analog outputs to an analog selector switch connected to PORT’s Line-In.

Ah yes, you’re right about the DAC and turnable, it won’t work as I was thinking.

Your record player has a digital output, requiring a DAC? That sounds pretty unlikely, considering it’s an inherently analog device.

It’s a record player with phono preamp, of course it doesn’t have a digital output, I understand now.

Is your CD transport really just that, without a integral DAC? 

Yes, it doesn’t have a DAC.

Why do you need a Port, when the Five already has an analog Line-In?

Because I was thinking of streaming the music to different speakers around the house, without relying on the Line-In.

Because I was thinking of streaming the music to different speakers around the house, without relying on the Line-In.

You could still do that. Any Line-In can be played anywhere in the system. 

The Port is an expensive solution if all you want is an analog input, and don’t require any of the Port’s outputs. If the Five needs to be physically separated from the turntable/CD it could be more economical to find some other way of sending the signal to the Five, such as a wireless audio adapter.

You could still do that. Any Line-In can be played anywhere in the system. 

The Port is an expensive solution if all you want is an analog input, and don’t require any of the Port’s outputs. If the Five needs to be physically separated from the turntable/CD it could be more economical to find some other way of sending the signal to the Five, such as a wireless audio adapter.

I see, does the Line-In provides good sound quality?

does the Line-In provides good sound quality?

It provides the same quality as you’d obtain from the Line-In on the Port. The incoming signal is digitised at 16-bit/44.1kHz, i.e. CD quality.

does the Line-In provides good sound quality?

It provides the same quality as you’d obtain from the Line-In on the Port. The incoming signal is digitised at 16-bit/44.1kHz, i.e. CD quality.

Great to know, thanks for all the clarification.