Question

Will Sonos work with Luma wifi?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Luma wifi is about to be released and looks like a great product. Can Sonos and Luma both create mesh networks that work together or will there be interference? I assume they will work, right?! A wifi mesh will be on a different frequency than the Sonos mesh, right? Luma looks like the solution many of us could use if it works as effectively as Sonos does with its own mesh. Opinions?
Mesh.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Badge
User108155, Your solve saved my butt after a few days of wrestling with different configurations. I actually had a Bridge in the mix—connected to my router—which I knew was outdated but kept anyway. Now it's gone! I've turned off the wifi in my router (well, I've actually made it invisible, just in case I need it if Luma goes out again). Now everything is playing well together: Sonos and Luma and my regular router. It's only since that last Luma update this past month where everything went haywire. I do like Buzz's reco to set my LUMA connection as a DMZ. Just have to figure that out now. Thank god for google.
User108155,

In your original configuration, SONOS to the ACTIONTEC and everything else to LUMA, you had two routers attempting to take control of your network -- each attempting to protect your network from the other router. SONOS cannot operate in this sort of environment. As you found, moving the SONOS to the LUMA essentially eliminates the ACTIONTEC router and everything works fine -- as long as you keep the ACTIONTEC's wireless turned OFF. You might experience slightly better throughput and better interaction with some multi-user games if you set the ACTIONTEC's port connected to the LUMA as a "DMZ".
Here's my experience getting LUMA to play nicely in the sandbox with Sonos. Because there is so little literature on the topic at this point, my eventual success was mostly the product of trial and error. My setup is the ubiquitous antiquated MI424WR Verizon Actiontec cable modem/router. I have the following paired Sonos components: 2 sets of paired Play 1s, 1 set of paired Play 5s (1st edition), and 2 Sonos Connects. With the new wireless network, I had previously removed the Ethernet cable from my Play 5 located closest to the router. Once I installed all 3 LUMAs from my newly arrived 3-pack, and without any adjustments to my Verizon router settings, my Sonos app could no longer find the Sonos network. I tinkered with a variety of solutions, getting one pair of Play 1's to be recognized when my phone was in close proximity to them. However, as soon as I walked about 30 feet away, the phone app. could once again no longer find the Sonos network.

Well to make a long story short, with several solutions proving to be dead ends, I decided to plug an ethernet cable from the back of one of my Play 5 stereo pairs (the one that had formerly been plugged into the Actiontec router before Sonos went completely wireless) into the OUT port on the back of the LUMA, The In port of that device was plugged into my Actiontec router. All my Sonos components magically appeared. Moreover, I was able to travel throughout the house and even into my backyard without losing the connection to the Sonos components. I note that I did this first without disabling the wireless on the Actiontec router. That's the curious thing about LUMA - although you can run it as your only wireless, it appears you don't have to. Effectively, this means you can have some components on your 192.168.1.XX Actiontec DNS range, and others on the LUMA 192.168.55.XX range.

But my next test was to see if it would still work when I turned off the wireless on the Actiontec router. (I note that keeping the Actiontec wireless enabled effectively circumvented LUMA's ability to cut off internet service; devices would just reroute to the Actiontec router.) So I wanted to see if I could maintain my Sonos connection after disabling the wireless on the router. With the Play 5 now plugged into the LUMA and the LUMA, in turn, plugged into an open LAN port in the back of my router, I was pleased to see that the Sonos app continued to work even after the Actiontec wireless was set to off.

In sum, the simple, if not intuitive, solution turned out to be the best. No resetting the controllers or fooling around with the DNS server ended up being necessary. Just a spare ethernet cord was all it took.

Incidentally, while I am not blown away by the speed of the LUMA (which never seems to change according to the app and seems to be about double what my Speedtest app says it is), I am impressed by its range. I have a 4000 square foot house with very poor wifi range using the Actiontec router. With the 3 LUMAs strategically placed on the left, center and right sides of the houses, I was able to get excellent coverage throughout the house and a good 50 feet into the backyard. That alone has made the purchase worthwhile.

Hope this helps.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ok, probably my last post. I was able to use the factory reset process on the zoneplayer (Connect, and Connect:Amp) devices and get them all working correctly too, so all is well with the world. I wish there was an easier way but having done it I can only hope it helps someone else down the line that needs to do the same thing.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The Luma only has two Ethernet ports marked IN and OUT and a USB connection. After monkeying around with all sorts of workarounds I gave up and scrapped the whole Sonos setup I had. Powered off all the elements and tried just getting one Play1 connected to the LUMA network. Disabled my antivirus and firewall on my PC and uninstalled the Sonos program. Still couldn't connect to the unit either as an existing system or new system in the setup options using the iphone and iphone app even after a fresh install of the app.

-> Did a factory reset of the Play1 and was finally able to setup a new Sonos system linked in to the LUMA network. Factory resetting each of the other two Play1's and adding them to my newly created system was successful. I then reinstalled the PC Sonos program and was able to have it find the new 3 unit system. I've lost all my playlists, stations, music services, and alarms and had to reindex my music library but I'm up and running. Next I just have to figure out how to add my other non-Play1 units back (ZP120 and ZP90). As you can see I have gotten them over on to the 192.168.55.xxx network this way:

Associated ZP: 192.168.55.158
---------------------------------
PLAY:1: Master Bedroom
Serial Number: B8-E9-37-8A-B5-E0:3
Version: 6.3 (build 321130071)
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-1
IP Address: 192.168.55.121
WM: 1
OTP:
PLAY:1: Micaela's Room
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-C9-5B-38:B
IP Address: 192.168.55.158
OTP:
PLAY:1: Office
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-23-EA-5E:4
IP Address: 192.168.55.160
OTP:
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
How are they connected? You should be using the LAN port on the Lima router, not the WAN. And I'm assuming DHCP is still handled by the FiOS router, so you must be sure to turn that off on the Lima router. I don't have mine yet so I'm not familiar with the settings and modes yet, if it has a bridge or gateway mode as opposed to router mode, turn that on. You may have to set the gateway and DNS addresses manually to that of the FiOS router. Doing it this way should work but you're not getting some of the benefits the Lima router offers. If you can pass the DHCP handling off to Lima I would..
Userlevel 1
Badge
I pre-ordered my Luma 12/21/15 from Luma directly and received my three-pack yesterday. I have been converting all my systems over to the Luma network since then. Printers, AppleTV's, Wii, Xbox.

My network consists of the FiOS router that feeds my ISP connection in via coax to the house. It is then distributed through out the house via the Ethernet ports and cabling, and spottily via the 2.4 and 5G wireless bands on that router. The new Luma unit #1 is now plugged in to the FiOS router. I have disabled the wifi channels on the FiOS router and tried to use the Luma wifi as the only wireless. I can access the Sonos system on my Windows PC (connected to router via Ethernet) and the system plays all the Sonos units in the house as expected. However, I cannot control Sonos via the app on my iphone because I get the message from the app that "You're on the Connell_LUMA wireless network but Sonos isn't. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and change to the network Sonos is on." If I turn the FiOS wireless back on I can control Sonos via the iPhone app.

Checking network settings, the appliances connected to the LUMA network have IPs of 192.168.55.xxx whereas the Sonos components are on 192.168.1.xxx I tried going in to the settings in the PC Sonos program to change the wireless settings to the LUMA network with no success.

I know I somehow need to get the Sonos components on the 192.168.55.xxx but don't know how...

Here's what my system is telling my Sonos consists of presently...
Associated ZP: 192.168.1.12
PLAY:1: Barn
Serial Number: B8-E9-37-8A-B5-E0:3
IP Address: 192.168.1.5
WM: 0
OTP:
BRIDGE: Barn Bridge
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-1A-9E-28:6
Hardware Version: 1.5.0.0-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.10
CONNECT: Basement
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-24-DD-C6:G
Hardware Version: 1.1.16.4-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.246
r8: 16.0-7
CONNECT:AMP: Family Room
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-32-75-AE:4
Hardware Version: 1.16.3.1-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.8
OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-3-0.9)
CONNECT:AMP: Master Bedroom
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-31-7C-20:4
Hardware Version: 1.16.3.1-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.12
OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-3-0.9)
PLAY:1: Micaela's Room
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-C9-5B-38:B
IP Address: 192.168.1.23
OTP:
PLAY:1: Tack Room
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-23-EA-5E:4
IP Address: 192.168.1.221
OTP:
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes. I'd suggest Sonos is connecting to your original router as you imply you still have that running (why?)
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
What? Ok first of all how did you get your Luma? Amazon still shows it hasn't shipped yet?
Second, how are they connected? You are using both Luma and your old wifi router together?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just got my Luma system. Used Sonos windows app to change the wireless to access the Luma wifi network. However, if I'm connected on my iphone to the Luma wifi Sonos says it cannot find the network that the Sonos is on. If I switch back to the wifi on my original router it works. Ideas?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Hey guys, update for this thread..
I found the official answer on Amazon: YES! It will work!
I dug into the questions and someone asked the same and got a response from Luma.
They also gave props to Sonos!!
I'm not here to defend eero, but an extender using different bands for clients and for backhaul is standard practice. It's a bridge and an AP back to back.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Like a number of such devices they're evidently capable of servicing clients on one band and back-hauling on another.
Marketing snakeoil. They may hop bands for backhaul, but they still reuse the same channel for client devices as they do for the backhaul. in fact, they use the same fixed radio channels on ALL Eeros. So the APs themselves are creating radio interference with each other. Proper radio cell designs use different, non-overlapping radio channels.
each eero has two radios
Like a number of such devices they're evidently capable of servicing clients on one band and back-hauling on another.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Eero is glorified repeater snake oil, and I would lay odds that this Luma stuff is, too. They mesh on the same radio channel as they service clients (if they really had the extra radios to do proper meshing, they'd be a lot more expensive).

Save your money and buy some Ubiquiti APs instead and hard-wire them so they are each on a separate radio channel. You know, the way you're supposed to expand coverage without creating tons of radio interference...
Sonos is meant to coexist with wifi.
Yes, but some WiFis are greedy, perhaps the worst being the late and unlamented 'Super G'.

Any 40MHz width channel has the potential to pretty much monopolise the 2.4GHz band. However if its primary is on channel 1 or 11 there is space for SonosNet to co-exist.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Actually I meant to type 'would'.. damn auto correct. I found this info about the Luma:
"Luma works on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies and uses new 802.11ac Wave 2 technology. Each device sports 2GB ethernet ports for WAN and LAN, as well as one USB 2 port"
It seems it should to me too, i mean, it's still just wifi and Sonos is meant to coexist with wifi. I'm gonna go ahead and order this i think, thanks for the input!
@ratty: So does that mean Sonos wouldn't work with an Eero setup?
It should work, and others report as much.

Since eero appears to use a fixed 40MHz channel, my suggestion to users with SonosNet based systems has been to move SonosNet to channel 11.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
@ratty: So does that mean Sonos wouldn't work with an Eero setup? The products are similar but Luma is more affordable and offers other security features.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Well that's partly my point, I buy three for $299, decide I need another one and then have to shell out $199 for it? Crazy...
Well yes that's getting pricey, but they claim 3 should cover a typical home and really I feel just 2 will probably do it for me.
A wifi mesh will be on a different frequency than the Sonos mesh, right?
Looks architecturally similar to eero. No relevant FAQ that I could locate so channel usage for the mesh is presently unknown. (The last time I looked, eero used a fixed channel 1, 40MHz wide, at 2.4GHz.) Any user of the 2.4GHz band obviously has the potential to interfere with SonosNet.
Well that's partly my point, I buy three for $299, decide I need another one and then have to shell out $199 for it? Crazy...
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Calm down.. Yes it does, but to get the full benefit of the product you'll want more than one. If 3 aren't enough to cover your entire house, you can add a 4th for $199. I wouldn't buy just 1.
Getluma.com
click preorder and its $299 for 3. The price will increase once it is released.

I can read you know. I know that but if you only want one, the "normal" price is $199. That seems expensive.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
That is an interesting question, one I didn't think of. I already have 2 wired Sonos units on opposite ends of my house so that works great, but my wifi is not so great. I feel this is a product that has been a long time coming and I really want to try it out.