Question

Will Sonos work with Luma wifi?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Luma wifi is about to be released and looks like a great product. Can Sonos and Luma both create mesh networks that work together or will there be interference? I assume they will work, right?! A wifi mesh will be on a different frequency than the Sonos mesh, right? Luma looks like the solution many of us could use if it works as effectively as Sonos does with its own mesh. Opinions?
Mesh.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

According to the website it's using 2.4 and 5ghz, so it's just as likely to interfere with Sonos as any other 2.4ghz WiFi. Whether luma is smart enough to avoid that is unknown. Presumably you could connect Sonos to the Luma ssid as you can any other wireless network, in which case it wouldn't matter.

$199 for what is basically a router though...
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
No, for $299 you get 3 routers that create a mesh wifi network for your house, similar to the way Sonos creates its own network. I'm assuming a mesh wifi network will work just the same as only using your one wifi router.
The "normal" price for one unit is $199, says so right there on the website. They're doing an introductory offer of $149 at the moment but it's still a lot.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Getluma.com
click preorder and its $299 for 3. The price will increase once it is released.
Interesting find and if it can do a better job of entire home coverage compared to what repeaters can do today, it ought to be very useful, doing for WiFi what Sonos does for audio. Someone from Sonos ought to have the answers to the interference question and clarify it here, hopefully.

Equally interesting is the question: can Sonos can use that mesh running in WiFi mode, doing away completely with the need for a wired to the router unit as is recommended when the WiFi approach doesn't provide stable music play? As a corollary, no need then for Bridge/Boost units either?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
That is an interesting question, one I didn't think of. I already have 2 wired Sonos units on opposite ends of my house so that works great, but my wifi is not so great. I feel this is a product that has been a long time coming and I really want to try it out.
Getluma.com
click preorder and its $299 for 3. The price will increase once it is released.

I can read you know. I know that but if you only want one, the "normal" price is $199. That seems expensive.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Calm down.. Yes it does, but to get the full benefit of the product you'll want more than one. If 3 aren't enough to cover your entire house, you can add a 4th for $199. I wouldn't buy just 1.
Well that's partly my point, I buy three for $299, decide I need another one and then have to shell out $199 for it? Crazy...
A wifi mesh will be on a different frequency than the Sonos mesh, right?
Looks architecturally similar to eero. No relevant FAQ that I could locate so channel usage for the mesh is presently unknown. (The last time I looked, eero used a fixed channel 1, 40MHz wide, at 2.4GHz.) Any user of the 2.4GHz band obviously has the potential to interfere with SonosNet.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Well that's partly my point, I buy three for $299, decide I need another one and then have to shell out $199 for it? Crazy...
Well yes that's getting pricey, but they claim 3 should cover a typical home and really I feel just 2 will probably do it for me.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
@ratty: So does that mean Sonos wouldn't work with an Eero setup? The products are similar but Luma is more affordable and offers other security features.
@ratty: So does that mean Sonos wouldn't work with an Eero setup?
It should work, and others report as much.

Since eero appears to use a fixed 40MHz channel, my suggestion to users with SonosNet based systems has been to move SonosNet to channel 11.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Actually I meant to type 'would'.. damn auto correct. I found this info about the Luma:
"Luma works on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies and uses new 802.11ac Wave 2 technology. Each device sports 2GB ethernet ports for WAN and LAN, as well as one USB 2 port"
It seems it should to me too, i mean, it's still just wifi and Sonos is meant to coexist with wifi. I'm gonna go ahead and order this i think, thanks for the input!
Sonos is meant to coexist with wifi.
Yes, but some WiFis are greedy, perhaps the worst being the late and unlamented 'Super G'.

Any 40MHz width channel has the potential to pretty much monopolise the 2.4GHz band. However if its primary is on channel 1 or 11 there is space for SonosNet to co-exist.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Eero is glorified repeater snake oil, and I would lay odds that this Luma stuff is, too. They mesh on the same radio channel as they service clients (if they really had the extra radios to do proper meshing, they'd be a lot more expensive).

Save your money and buy some Ubiquiti APs instead and hard-wire them so they are each on a separate radio channel. You know, the way you're supposed to expand coverage without creating tons of radio interference...
each eero has two radios
Like a number of such devices they're evidently capable of servicing clients on one band and back-hauling on another.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Like a number of such devices they're evidently capable of servicing clients on one band and back-hauling on another.
Marketing snakeoil. They may hop bands for backhaul, but they still reuse the same channel for client devices as they do for the backhaul. in fact, they use the same fixed radio channels on ALL Eeros. So the APs themselves are creating radio interference with each other. Proper radio cell designs use different, non-overlapping radio channels.
I'm not here to defend eero, but an extender using different bands for clients and for backhaul is standard practice. It's a bridge and an AP back to back.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Hey guys, update for this thread..
I found the official answer on Amazon: YES! It will work!
I dug into the questions and someone asked the same and got a response from Luma.
They also gave props to Sonos!!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just got my Luma system. Used Sonos windows app to change the wireless to access the Luma wifi network. However, if I'm connected on my iphone to the Luma wifi Sonos says it cannot find the network that the Sonos is on. If I switch back to the wifi on my original router it works. Ideas?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
What? Ok first of all how did you get your Luma? Amazon still shows it hasn't shipped yet?
Second, how are they connected? You are using both Luma and your old wifi router together?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes. I'd suggest Sonos is connecting to your original router as you imply you still have that running (why?)
Userlevel 1
Badge
I pre-ordered my Luma 12/21/15 from Luma directly and received my three-pack yesterday. I have been converting all my systems over to the Luma network since then. Printers, AppleTV's, Wii, Xbox.

My network consists of the FiOS router that feeds my ISP connection in via coax to the house. It is then distributed through out the house via the Ethernet ports and cabling, and spottily via the 2.4 and 5G wireless bands on that router. The new Luma unit #1 is now plugged in to the FiOS router. I have disabled the wifi channels on the FiOS router and tried to use the Luma wifi as the only wireless. I can access the Sonos system on my Windows PC (connected to router via Ethernet) and the system plays all the Sonos units in the house as expected. However, I cannot control Sonos via the app on my iphone because I get the message from the app that "You're on the Connell_LUMA wireless network but Sonos isn't. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and change to the network Sonos is on." If I turn the FiOS wireless back on I can control Sonos via the iPhone app.

Checking network settings, the appliances connected to the LUMA network have IPs of 192.168.55.xxx whereas the Sonos components are on 192.168.1.xxx I tried going in to the settings in the PC Sonos program to change the wireless settings to the LUMA network with no success.

I know I somehow need to get the Sonos components on the 192.168.55.xxx but don't know how...

Here's what my system is telling my Sonos consists of presently...
Associated ZP: 192.168.1.12
---------------------------------
PLAY:1: Barn
Serial Number: B8-E9-37-8A-B5-E0:3
Version: 6.3 (build 321130071)
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.5
WM: 0
OTP:
BRIDGE: Barn Bridge
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-1A-9E-28:6
Hardware Version: 1.5.0.0-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.10
CONNECT: Basement
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-24-DD-C6:G
Hardware Version: 1.1.16.4-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.246
r8: 16.0-7
CONNECT:AMP: Family Room
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-32-75-AE:4
Hardware Version: 1.16.3.1-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.8
OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-3-0.9)
CONNECT:AMP: Master Bedroom
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-31-7C-20:4
Hardware Version: 1.16.3.1-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.12
OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-3-0.9)
PLAY:1: Micaela's Room
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-C9-5B-38:B
IP Address: 192.168.1.23
OTP:
PLAY:1: Tack Room
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-23-EA-5E:4
IP Address: 192.168.1.221
OTP:
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
How are they connected? You should be using the LAN port on the Lima router, not the WAN. And I'm assuming DHCP is still handled by the FiOS router, so you must be sure to turn that off on the Lima router. I don't have mine yet so I'm not familiar with the settings and modes yet, if it has a bridge or gateway mode as opposed to router mode, turn that on. You may have to set the gateway and DNS addresses manually to that of the FiOS router. Doing it this way should work but you're not getting some of the benefits the Lima router offers. If you can pass the DHCP handling off to Lima I would..