what is the best Sonos setup for purely music listening?

• 23 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Hiii guys,,,,
I am new to the Sonos system and buying speakers in general. I am much more of a music listener then I am movie/tv surround experience. So far I just have two Play:1s and don't want to start getting to far down the road without considering the road to take for building the best music listening setup.

So those of you that are true audiophiles, in your opinions, what is the best Sonos setup for the ultimate music listening experience?

Thanks
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Either 2 play:5s and sub

Or

Sonos Amp connected to a premium set of speakers and sub.

But in all honesty you would have to spend a lot on those premium speakers to compete with two play:5s and a sub
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd say the Sonos Amp and some fine floor standing speakers would be my first choice, Same but adding a powered sub if the speakers you pick are weak on the low end.

The two Play 5s and Sub are going to be far cheaper and sound pretty good.

Before going the Amp and speaker route check with the spouse too, a loud whining noise over too large a speaker ruining the room is not good. Trust me on that as an ex-Klipsch LaScala owner. On the other hand you could knock fur off the cat with the right music selection and 100 watts into these!

Newer vII but the same size: https://www.klipsch.com/products/la-scala-ii-floorstanding-speaker
Why settle for LaScalas? Go for a pair of Klipschorns,
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I got the biggest ones that would fit through the hallway into my apartment. Hooked them to the car (well VW Vanagon) stereo for the ride home. Scared a lot of poor German civilians when they went past me while I was blasting Bachman-Turner.

Added the wife a few years after I got them and soon switched to some smaller square but taller Cerwin Vegas for domestic tranquility and to keep the cat out of the woofer horn.

If you think stuff in a Sonos Sub is a pain to get stuff out of have a couple buddies over and try picking up and shaking a LaScalla. OH, my back! Although worst case you could flip them over and unscrew the bottom to get in there.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
... 2 play:5s and sub …
This.