Was about to buy a load of Sonos speakers but have config questions now

• 10 November 2018
  • 14 replies

Badge
So I have been looking at Sonos for a while and I've listened to a load of their speakers in shops and in friends houses etc.

My intention was to buy

1x BEAM
4x ONE
1x SUB

In the main room I wanted the BEAM, SUB and 2x ONE (the other ONE's would be throughout the house and I'd add to the system in due course)

In the main room I wanted a 5.1 set up for TV and then presumed I'd be able to use the 2xONE speakers and SUB for music which I'd stream via airplay. After reading on here I gather that isn't possible, which is a shame to say the least!

So my questions are:

- Could I use the ONE's as a stereo pair with the SUB, but though the Sonos app rather than via airplay? (in which case I may as well just buy the Play 1's as I wont need the air play function, and I already have an Echo dot anyway)

OR, if that still wont work, which is hugely annoying...

- How long a process is it to unpair the ONE's / Play 1's from the BEAM and set them up as a stereo pair with the SUB? In reality we probably only watch a film worthy of 5.1 once a week so I'd have them set up as paired speakers most of the time, but if its a LONG process to then pair them with the BEAM it will also be annoying.

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos need to create a new UI for this type of thing.
Like what google home has just done where, like your house, you have permanent rooms and then allocate devices to those rooms. You can control individual volume by clicking on the permanent device.
With sonos you could create groups, stereo pairs, surrounds by maybe ticking boxes within those rooms.
That's a manual volume and Mute/Pause/Stop.
Curious what would happen if you simply turn off the power switch on the beam while listening to music?

The Beam is the coordinator for the room, and the surrounds get their content directly from the Beam via 5 GHz. So, the surrounds would play nothing. In fact, they would not even show on the app.

Also, Sonos devices have no power switch.

OK thanks. I don't have any Sonos video products but thought I saw a power switch on the end of Playbar in some picture. Anyway moot point if the Paybar/Paybase/Beam needs to be on for the room to function.
Curious what would happen if you simply turn off the power switch on the beam while listening to music?

The Beam is the coordinator for the room, and the surrounds get their content directly from the Beam via 5 GHz. So, the surrounds would play nothing. In fact, they would not even show on the app.

Also, Sonos devices have no power switch.
Badge
Just to add to this as I bought my speakers and have been listening to them for a while now.

What I didn't realise and what no one mentioned was that in the settings for the surround speakers you can set them to be louder during music play back, which effectively makes the BEAM a lower volume level, which is what I wanted.

I'd still prefer if there was a specific toggle so you could completely mute the BEAM during music, but for now this is 90% of what I want to be honest.

I'm also very impressed with the low frequency response in my room. I'm not sure I'll bother adding the SUB now (unless one comes up very cheap on ebay and I might give it a try).

Very happy and look forward to expanding to all of the rooms in due course.
Another quick question. I see you can run all the speakers from an existing router, or you can buy a boost.

But if you connect one speaker via LAN cable, will this speaker effectively then become a boost?

Yes, any wired speaker acts like a Boost.
Another quick question. I see you can run all the speakers from an existing router, or you can buy a boost.

But if you connect one speaker via LAN cable, will this speaker effectively then become a boost?

Sort of.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en
Badge

Read through the references I've provided in the other topic.
Badge
Stereo pair. And yes, the soundstage is messed up. But that is how it works. I only informed you of this compromise because you seemed not to be aware of it.

Thank you. Appreciated. Yes it may be a quicker compromise but if I wanted less than perfect sound I'd get something cheaper than Sonos.

Good at least it uses them as a proper stereo pair though (and I presume utilises the SUB if connected and so it cuts out the low frequency from the ONE?)

And you definitely cant then adjust the BEAM volume level on its own?
Stereo pair. And yes, the soundstage is messed up. But that is how it works. I only informed you of this compromise because you seemed not to be aware of it.
Badge
Having a third audio source for music will mess up the sound stage, unless you can then lower the volume on the BEAM?

And will the rear speakers play as a stereo pair or will each ONE get the full L+R channels?
You can set the surrounds to play as "Full" for music sources. That will give you full volume out of the surrounds for anything except TV. The Beam will still be active, but many feel this is a good solution instead of having to reconfigure for each source.