Want to have a wire btw sonos and record player

I have a sonos speaker and a sonos device that is a white box that I got to hook up my bluetooth record player to. (I don't know the specific names/models because they don't say on the devices themselves! Seriously guys? Why would you not put that on the thing itself? I'm a MORON!!! ASSUME YOU ARE SELLING TO MORONS!!!) Anyway, the bluetooth thing has never worked very well, and has recently stopped working at all, and I want to just have wires making it happen. The speaker I have does not have a line-in hole (technical term, right?). But I assume I can make it work through the white box thingy, right? PLEASE HELP THIS MORON LISTEN TO HIS RECORDS THANKS!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

The white box is probably a Connect. It has a line-in. You need to connect the line-out on the turntable to the line-in on the Connect via RCA cables. Also, you need to activate the phono preamp on the turntable, if it has one. If not, you need to buy an external version.
Hi and thank you. That all sounds correct. All of that is already done, which had enabled the once 95% Bluetooth connection I had previously enjoyed (but which mysteriously stopped working at all). Can I run a wire from the connect to the speaker through the connection that looks like a phone jack and just have it be pseudo analog in that way?
My ultimate goal is to have the speaker hooked up to the record player through the connect through visible means, rather than "magic"
Unless the speaker has a line in jack - only the play 5 units do - you will have to rely on the magic to transfer signals from the Connect to which the turntable is wired, and the Sonos speaker. But this is more robust magic than Bluetooth, and it should work a lot closer to 100% of the time than 95%.

If you have the play 1 speaker, what looks like a phone jack on it is a mounting hole for a stand - look at it closely and you will discover this.

If you have a 5 unit with a line in jack, you don't need the Connect at all if you can run a wire from the preamp of the turntable all the way to the 5 unit. That a needle moving in a groove will then make the speaker sing songs is still magic, if you were to think about it - signals don't move visibly even via the wire.
It is indeed all magic. I stand corrected. And that answer was helpful. Thank you! Looks like I might be in the market for a receiver and speakers, which doesn't upset me in the least.
Just jumping on this thread and new to the forum (wave). I currently have a Play 5 and am looking at investing in the playbar but we have a Bluetooth record player and my GF HATES wires. Am I correct in thinking that to get the record player to play through Playbar (once bought) and play 5 wirelessly I would also need the CONNECT AMP? Apologies if this is answered in a other thread but I've searched and couldn't find it 😞
Not the CONNECT:AMP, no. Unless you're trying to power a set of passive speakers. You should be be able to get away with just your PLAY:5 and a pre-amp, as well. The PLAY:5 already has a line in (3.5mm) , so if you were to connect a cable from the pre-amp to the PLAY:5, you could then hit the line in and listen to your records that way. If it would be difficult to run that cable, you can do the same thing by adding a CONNECT (not the AMP!) next to your turntable, and connecting the pre-amp to the RCA jacks on the CONNECT.

By the way, if your turntable happens to have a built in pre-amp, you wouldn't need to buy a separate one.
Thank you! That makes sense, problem is she would like to use Sonos as a bluetooth speaker for the record player without the need for wires so I might need to rethink the plan!
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
You could also get a bluetooth transmitter/receiver pair and accomplish the same thing, or just a receiver if your turntable has bluetooth.
I'm jumping in here now. Have a new turntable, which we have connected to a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver. I am trying to pair that device to my Sonos, which I have 3 Connects and several Play 3s. The Connects are connected to speakers in my ceiling. So how do I pair that turntable, via Bluetooth, to my ceiling speakers?
Sonos does not natively do bluetooth; the solution is to use a bluetooth receiver and wire it to the line in jacks on the Connect.
Thank you!!