Answered

Volume control Sonos Playbar through Samsung One Remote

• 14 February 2018
  • 42 replies

Does anyone know how to connect the Samsung One Remote control to the Sonos Playbar so that I can control the volume of the playbar? I tried various ways but can’t get it to work.... I read the the playbar has IR whereas the Samsung remote control has RF but nevertheless there seems to be a way to make them connect. Hope someone can share the ultimate solution for this issue with me!!
icon

Best answer by buzz 19 February 2018, 03:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Userlevel 2
I got the Sonos Playbar fully working to be controlled by the One Remote with my Samsung Q7F 75" (2018 model, QE75Q7FNA).
My One Connect box is inside a closed cabinet and the Sonos Playbar receives the IR commands directly from the One Control.

It is working for me at every input, tested on DVB-S2 (Satellite), HDMI1 (Apple TV), HDMI2 (PlayStation 4) and Apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc).

Instructions on Samsung TV:
Go to Settings -> Universal Remote -> New Device
Select Device Type: Home Theatre System
Select Brand: Samsung
Select Home Cinema Configuration: Optical
Start "Power Test" and always hit "No" (unsuccessful) until the 4th power test, there select Yes (home theatre system turned on/off).

After this the Sonos Playbar can understand the IR commands emitted by the One Remote, without the One Connect box needing to be in line-of-sight.

Change remote on Sonos Playbar:
Start the Sonos App
Go to More -> Settings -> Room Settings-> Room with TV/Playbar -> TV -> Remote control setup

Follow on-screen instructions, you will have to learn Volume Up/Down and Mute.

Congrats, you will have now a flawless working Samsung One Remote + Sonos Playbar setup.

At least it works at me perfectly.

None of the other "workarounds" that I found by other users worked for me.

Cheers!
Declare victory and move on.
Great video which walks you through this very easy:

https://youtu.be/lDDFhersXMs
I got the Sonos Playbar fully working to be controlled by the One Remote with my Samsung Q7F 75" (2018 model, QE75Q7FNA).
My One Connect box is inside a closed cabinet and the Sonos Playbar receives the IR commands directly from the One Control.

It is working for me at every input, tested on DVB-S2 (Satellite), HDMI1 (Apple TV), HDMI2 (PlayStation 4) and Apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc).

Start "Power Test" and always hit "No" (unsuccessful) until the 4th power test, there select Yes (home theatre system turned on/off).

After this the Sonos Playbar can understand the IR commands emitted by the One Remote, without the One Connect box needing to be in line-of-sight.

Start the Sonos App
Go to More -> Settings -> Room Settings-> Room with TV/Playbar -> TV -> Remote control setup

Congrats, you will have now a flawless working Samsung One Remote + Sonos Playbar setup.

Cheers

Just ran into this issue after unplugging tv and soundbar due to relocating. Here's the fix for my Samsung One Remote not controlling volume, but it still showed a visual response on tv.

Instructions on Samsung TV:Go to Sources -> Universal Remote -> New Device

Select Brand: Sonos

Start "Power Test" and now hit "No" (unsuccessful) until the 2th power test, then select Yes (home theatre system turned on/off).

This was the fix for me! Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I FINALLY got my 2019 Q80R Samsung One remote to work my Sonos Playbar’s volume and mute functions. Similar instructtions to those above by MNS1974 with a few changes (2019 model TVs?)

Go to Source → Universal Remote → New Device → Home Theatre System 
Select Brand: Sonos → Select/Search… This is where it gets weird - search for “Playbar” but it never worked for me when I selected “Playbar” from the list but DID when I selected “PBAR1USBLK” from lower in the list. Once selected, choose “Optical” as connection type.

Start "Power Test" and hit "No" (unsuccessful) until the 2nd power test (2019 TVs only give you 2 attempts - not 4...), there select Yes (home theatre system turned on/off), then “Done” and after that, it worked.

My Playbar was purchased new in early 2019 and is updated to current update level, so I can’t say what the difference is between “Playbar” and “PBAR1USBLK” in the list, only that “Playbar” never worked.

Hopefully this will help someone. I was frustrated for months attempting to get this to work until I stumbled on the alternate “PBAR” choice.

Cheers,

C

Read this FAQ.
Badge
Great answer. It works perfectly for me. On a really minor point, do you know if you can change the label from Samsung?
Thx @af2k!
Badge +3

Start the Sonos App

Cheers!

Not sure if I’m missing something. I have the same TV but I don’t have a setting for “universal remote”. Been looking everywhere for it. I have picture, sound, general, and support as options and none of those have a universal remote sub menu. Struggling to get my Playbar controlled by the one remote.

Start the Sonos App

Cheers!

So I've been setting up my sonos with the Q8 samsung TV and I get it working but then it disappears from the optical connection and then sometimes it tries to set itself up automatically with a 50/50 success rate. If it fails, I go in and set it up again. I tried to use your method by calling it a Samsung theater system but after the third time I press no on the power test, it goes to the screen where I enter the model number of the theater system. Any thoughts on this at all?

I've tried calling Samsung, but they're absolutely no help. All they can tell me is that if I use an HDMI cable instead of optical then it will work. I tell them there is no HDMI on the playbar and he said it will still work. Seems like they're partially braindead over there.

I just went through this process many times and it does not work with my new 2019 Samsung Frame (model: QN65LS03RAFXZA). I followed af2k’s awesome workaround by pretending the soundbar is a Samsung model and setting the Sonos manually which worked perfectly.

Another note: I was on a call with Samsung support and they are useless. They don’t even know how their device works and insist that the remote only uses IR for power signals and nothing else.

I am not sure if they did an update over past few weeks (either Sonos or Samsung) but I lost the ability to control volume. I have tried all the steps here to get it back. Still not working.
I only use the built in apps (no HDMI devices) and i cant get the volume to work with the Samsung remote.

Working now! "the issue is that the IR signal comes from the one connect box and not the remote."

I have a beam and a 2016 Samsung TV.  I cannot get the two to communicate at all via the Sonos One Remote - sounds works but no volume control with the remote.  I tried the 4 times.  I tried twice.  No Beam model number.  And no Samsung One Connect, this was model was before that.  And Samsung is no help.  They just say the Beam is not compatible with Samsung.  Any help?

any progress on this SONOS?

Thanks. I tried this earlier, didn’t work then but it does now!🆒
Read this FAQ.

Anyone have another link for this? Or can you copy and paste what it says? I'm also trying to connect my Playbase with my One Remote but when I click this FAQ link, it brings me to a blank page that says "Ctomer Portal is not enabled for this interface."
Badge +1
Mine works on source devices but it won't work the volume on the built in apps?
Yea, they changed the location/address of all the FAQs last week. Try this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3444
Thanks for this. One thing I noted when setting it up with my new TV today is that the Sonos never needed to learn the remote codes, so I tried changing the volume with my old tv remote, and it still worked.

Therefore, I then tried setting up the sonos with the “dumb” remote Samsung also supplies, which works and means you can use either. I’m guessing a few people may have already worked this out, but I haven’t seen any mention of this elsewhere.

I am guessing the Playbar has some of its own codes which is what the smart remote uses, and are on top of whatever the sonos can learn.
Userlevel 2
Badge
This honestly saved me from having to buy a beam. Fourth test did the trick. And yes you can rename from Samsung to Sonos.
Badge +2
My Samsung Series 7 2018 just discovered and offered to control the Playbar without me doing anything but selecting optical out for sound. Works flawlessly and indication on screen labeled SONOS
Thank you.
Badge +3
Figured it out. You don’t go to settings > universal remote. You go to sources > universal remote. After that works like a charm. Bravo