Answered

Using Sonos w/o Updating

• 3 November 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
Recently had the internet to my neighborhood cut off, due to some construction. ISP says it wont be back up for a month or two. Running into the issue where the Sonos app on my phone has updated and recognizes that the units need updated. Thus rendering them unusable until I update.

Since that isn't possible right now is there a way to bypass this so I can still keep using the units? Haven't found anything myself but curious if anyone else knows a work-around.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 November 2018, 21:47

Can you take your system to a friend's house, and wire it with an ethernet cable to their router, in order to update it?
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Can you take your system to a friend's house, and wire it with an ethernet cable to their router, in order to update it?
Badge
Similar question here...
I use Sonos all over my house and all is ok, love it.

However, I was planning on getting an extensive Sonos system for a remote resort with very limited internet access (iffy mobile hotspot only) with 5 cottages and a marina on 55 acres. I have an internal network with terabytes of music and movies running off a Plex server for the guests.

How would I make sure none of the Sonos hardware and iPad controllers updates on their own "forced" schedule, or when someone shows up with a newer version controller on their phone? I love Sonos, but his pickup alone would force me to rethink this proposed setup.
I think you would be pretty safe if nothing can get to the internet, although not quite sure what would happen if the 'friend with latest version' connects. You can turn off automatic updates on Sonos and your App store(s). But for the definitive word on how to prevent your system from updating, see this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510

Might take some wading through, though.