Question

using my TV as an output for my sonos connect

• 24 July 2017
  • 5 replies

I have a Sonos Connect which I'm trying to connect to my Samsung tv UN55ES8000 to use the TV's speakers to play music from the Sonos Connect. I've found a lot of documentation on how to connect the TV to use Sonos speakers to play sound from the TV but nothing on how to use the built in TV speakers to play music from the Sonos Connect.

What I've tried
1. using the RCA to RCA on the TV
2. using an RCA to 3.5mm Stereo Male connected to the DVI audio IN port

Expecting
I was expecting to be able to choose Component or the DVI as an input source and hear the audio I'm playing on the Sonos connect.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The RCA TO HDMI adaptor didn't work. Any other recommendation?
I got an rca to hdmi converter on amazon. I'll give it a try and report back.

I'm not looking to sell the P5, I just want to eliminate electronics from view. I will prob use the play 5 in the garage or basement now that I've integrated all the speakers in the house. in the other rooms.

thanks for the help!
I am purely speculating, but I think the tv is looking for some sort of video signal. I don't think you can just plug in a video cord to get it working if there is nothing connected on the other end. You may have better results with the RCA/hdmi converter, but I'm still guessing.

Are you wanting to sell the play 5 or just move a different room? If you're selling, then why not get rid of the CONNECT and keep the PLAY:5? Sure, you won't get as much cash from the sale, but you'll get better sound.
if you've ever called Samsung help it's like talking to a human with a robotic answer. They pretty much read off a script and can't think outside the box. They kept telling me to connect the HDMI to a diff port. I explained the outputs offered by the connect but they kept trying to explain how to connect the TVs audio to an external speaker.

I have a new play 5 in the room that I'm trying to eliminate because I have the TV there. Do you think connecting a cable to the video port would be enough to activate the component input? I'll give it a try tonight and report back.

Would using an RCA AV to HDMI Converter Adapter work?
First, I think you'd get better results on a Samsung forum or help service then Sonos. Whatever setting change required is almost assuredly on the tv.

Second, I would think most modern TV's won't play audio without corresponding video. They simply aren't designed to do that. I'd confirm that's the issue if at all possible. If you have a DVD or blu ray player, plug it in by components as normal and confirm you get audio and video. Then unplug the video RCA cables and see if the audio comes through. If it doesn't than you've confirmed that your tv won't take audio without video.

Personally, I wouldn't try to do what you're doing. TVs were not designed for this. You should be able to find a relatively cheap amp/speaker system that can take RCA inputs.