Using HTTPS instead of SMBv1 for Sonos Music Library and Synology NAS

• 19 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
My music library is served from my Synology NAS. Historically, this meant that I had to enable SMBv1 on my NAS in order for my Sonos speakers to find my music folder and index it.

However, I saw that Sonos v8.6 includes the ability for "the Sonos app for Windows [to] set up a music share using HTTP for local file sharing instead of the now-deprecated SMBv1 protocol."
https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-8-6-app-improvements-and-new-windows-library-sharing-6808278

Since Sonos still doesn't support SMBv2+ file sharing, I would like to use HTTP(S) to share music from my Synology NAS to my Sonos speakers. Logically, a Synology HTTPS file share should look no different to a Sonos player than a Windows HTTPS file share. However, I don't seem able to configure this properly.

Is this possible? If so, could someone provide more detailed instructions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

It's not been exposed as an option to users to flip on or off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Making the HTTPS sharing configuration info available if it isn't a custom protocol that only Sonos can use would be nice.