Answered

Use Playbar and Sonos Sub with existing 5.1 set up?

• 20 April 2019
  • 8 replies

Hello, I am wondering if I can integrate a play bar and sonos sub into my current 5.1 set up. I am hoping that I can use a SPDIF to RCA adapter to plug the playbar into my reciever. Will the sub be able to function if it is paired with the playbar? Will I also be able to still play music through the Sonos app to the play bar and sub? Will the Play bar act as a normal center channel speaker in this set up? Thank you in advance.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 April 2019, 05:51

Does your receiver put out a Dolby Digital signal on the RCA port you're planning on using? That's the only way that the PLAYBAR would send a signal to the SUB.

Seems like your chances of making this work are close to nil, but I could be wrong.

But, the second half would work. You can indeed pair a SUB with a PLAYBAR and play music using Sonos' software.

The PLAYBAR is not a center speaker, no. It's a front right, center and left speaker, which interprets a Dolby Digital signal and sends the data to the appropriate speakers, which are inside the soundbar.
View original

8 replies

Does your receiver put out a Dolby Digital signal on the RCA port you're planning on using? That's the only way that the PLAYBAR would send a signal to the SUB.

Seems like your chances of making this work are close to nil, but I could be wrong.

But, the second half would work. You can indeed pair a SUB with a PLAYBAR and play music using Sonos' software.

The PLAYBAR is not a center speaker, no. It's a front right, center and left speaker, which interprets a Dolby Digital signal and sends the data to the appropriate speakers, which are inside the soundbar.
I am planning to use a SPDIF to rca adapter and then a Y splitter to create a mono rca output. My receiver does support DTS:X, DTS virtual X and Dolby Atmos. Will the sub be able to work with the TV in this set up?
Again, I don't think so. You're continuing to consider the PLAYBAR as a single speaker, which it isn't. It's 3 speakers in a single enclosure. It needs a stereo or Dolby Digital input.

If your receiver supports these additional formats, that's great. I'd consider other passive speakers connected directly to the outputs from your receiver, rather than trying to make Sonos (not designed for this kind of use) fit.
Will the sonos PLAYBAR function as a single speaker even if it isn’t?
No, that's not the way it's designed.
How will it function?
I've never tried to send a mono signal to it, so I don't know. Perhaps if you were to contact Sonos' 24/7 support folks on Twitter or Facebook, they could give you a definitive answer to your question.
Thank you!