Answered

Updating Sonos library on multiple IOS devices

I have an itunes library that sonos accesses for an update on a daily schedule. At least that's my hope. My itunes library is on a Mac Mini computer that is set to never sleep.
Because the library on my ios devices are usually out of date, I'm curious how to keep my ios and mac computers all current.
  • is the library update on the itunes server sufficient or does each device need to run its own update? If the itunes server update is the only one required for sonos, how do I update the other devices?
  • If the update must be run on each device, when I have scheduled an update to run on an ios device, say at 615am, it returns library not available. When I actually schedule the computer to turn on at 6am, it still returns library not available. But if I first ping the server, the update runs.
Any input on how Sonos manages multiple devices, or rather - how to manage Sonos with multiple devices - would be great.
Thank you,
Bob
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 May 2019, 02:49

Sonos not being able to hit the Mac Mini's hard drive that would suggest that the hard drive is sleeping, and waking up for the "ping" process. Turn that off in your Power Savings preference.

But as Damon77 ably points out, the Sonos system is kept on the speakers, not on the controller, which is just a remote to the data on the speakers, so doing the update once (on the Mac Mini's iTunes library) is all you would have to do.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hmmm. How to answer, without being confusing :)

Sonos doesn't consider your iOS library to be a true library. Bear with me... the iOS device is considered a volatile device, i.e. it can leave the wifi at any moment in time. Consequently, Sonos allows you to "play from this device" but not add music from that device to a playlist.

The Mac Mini library is treated as an NAS, for all practical purposes. It's not volatile, it can't be expected to easily leave the wifi network at the drop of a hat, if you wear one. So Sonos software allows you to use the data there to build playlists, etc, since the music will always be available to the Sonos speakers.

I've got somewhat of a similar situation as you do, although I've moved my iTunes library to be on an NAS, due to space issues on my Mac's hard drive. But I also keep copies of music on my iPads and iPhone, for use when I'm not at home.

I use the sync feature on the Mac to keep the music on the iOS devices up to date. I use Sonos' software to update the iTunes library (which for me is on the NAS, for you would be on your Mini).

I find that I very, very rarely ever use the "on this device" to play music, since it's already on my iTunes library on my NAS. On the rare occasion that I need to play something "on this device", I actually tend to use AirPlay 2 to send the signal to my Sonos system. Actually, I guess that's not so rare, as I use the TuneIn premium app to listen to Giants baseball, and AirPlay 2 to get that to my Sonos speakers...but you get the idea.

At the end of the day, given the issue that Apple introduced in iOS11 that causes Sonos streaming from the device's memory to be "blocked" when the device sleeps, I've found it much more satisfying to play all of my music directly from the source, i.e. the iTunes library on my NAS.

Hope this helps.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Great explanation Bruce, but I don't think that that's what Bob means.

To Bob:
An important thing to remember is that any Sonos controller (smartphone, tablet, computer) is just a "remote controller", any library (from your Mac Mini, or NAS or whatever) indexing is done by the Sonos players themselves, not your controller. So if you initiate re-indexing from one controller, it should immediately reflect on an other controller.

Sonos not being able to reach your Mac mini until you ping is an other issue
Sonos not being able to hit the Mac Mini's hard drive that would suggest that the hard drive is sleeping, and waking up for the "ping" process. Turn that off in your Power Savings preference.

But as Damon77 ably points out, the Sonos system is kept on the speakers, not on the controller, which is just a remote to the data on the speakers, so doing the update once (on the Mac Mini's iTunes library) is all you would have to do.