Answered

Unable to sort by genre

• 14 February 2021
  • 9 replies

What happened to ability to sort by genre? It is blank. And artists are not listed alphabetically. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 March 2021, 12:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Lblumen 

Are you still having this problem? If so, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I will try again to remove and re-add.  But I have done that before. Moreover, searching the Community, this is a common problem that seems that most users are having.

Not at all, this is common for one of the music services (YTM? I forget), but AFAIK you are the only person reporting issues with local library and genre/alphabetizing. The code (and issues) for local libraries is utterly unrelated to the code for music services.

I will try again to remove and re-add.  But I have done that before. Moreover, searching the Community, this is a common problem that seems that most users are having.

Badge +20

I would remove the local library from Sonos and then add it back to see if that gets Genres and Artists behaving.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Playback from PC/Mac has the same failures.   Not longer shows music under Genre’s nor listing Articles alphabetically.  If you have a large library of music, this makes using Sonos untenable.

I conclude something is wrong with your system, you should contact Support and figure out what. I tested S1 and S2 and against my collections and everything is the same as it ever was.

Maybe you should start by re-installing the PC software?

Playback from PC/Mac has the same failures.   Not longer shows music under Genre’s nor listing Articles alphabetically.  If you have a large library of music, this makes using Sonos untenable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sounds like the OP is trying to play music files direct from their Android device, but its hard to be entirely sure. The limitations of this particular music source are well known and match the above report.

And yes, Sonos these days give a much higher priority to streaming than file playback, and file playback from PC/Mac is a higher priority than direct device playback on Android.

Am not referring to streaming.  Am talking about my own music that is stored on my home network and phone.  The Sonos App no longer groups that music in any useable way.  Use to allow you to sort by genre and artists.  Genre nor longer supported and Artist is no longer alphabetical.  Sonos, as I understand it, is now effectively only for streaming, not playing your own music.

Badge +17

Hi @Lblumen, welcome to the community.

Which music service is it that you’re experiencing this issue with? Could you also please provide a screenshot of the part of the app you’re experiencing issues with? This will help the community get a better understanding of what the issue could be.