Ubiquity and Sonos

• 12 February 2023
  • 7 replies

My SONOS system consists of (3) Play3s, (1) Arc, (1) Sub, (1) Move, and (1) Roam. They were all working great on my old Wi-Fi system. All were and are wireless. 

I upgraded my Wi-Fi to a Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro Special Edition with (3) hard-wired Ubiquity WAPs. Same network name and password. 

Now, nothing works even after doing the standard Sonos app “Let’s fix it” to move to the new network. Have also tried to do a hard factory reset. Have also tried to use one of my Play (3)s in a hard-wired scenario to act as a bridge. Still does not work. 

what the heck do I do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

I keep reading about people setting up a “different network” just for Sonos.  In theory, I could probably do that but wouldn’t that mean that I would have to have the controlling device (my iPhone) on that network in order to control any part of Sonos?

When you wire at least one Sonos device, that creates SonosNet which is a private network which operates over 2.4GHz. Your phone still just connects to either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band of your router and you can still control Sonos. You do not, and cannot, connect your phone directly to SonosNet.

The Move and Roam will always use your router’s WiFi; they do not connect through SonosNet.

I didn’t explicitly mention it, but it would be best if you wire the additional SONOS units to the main unit while you set them up. Since I don’t know what these units have been through, you may need to Factory Reset each of them again before you can add them to the system. Don’t Factory Reset the working unit.

As you have learned, Factory Reset rarely cures fundamental issues and it does introduce a lot of extra work.

No offense taken. I thought it was just better to have a more powerful brain for my eventual setup with more WAPs (in a barn too) and about a dozen cameras. It has been fun to learn more about all of this. I’ll keep trying and troubleshooting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

No offense but a “Ubiquity Dream Machine“ is not a great choice for a “network infant”. I write TCP/IP code all day and I wouldn’t try one. I use their “idiot proof” AmpliFi hardware line.

Unrelated: A Bridge will do you nothing as it is S1 only and you are running S2.

Thanks folks.  My WAPs do not have an ethernet port except for the one that it has to receive signal from the dream machine.  Said differently, they only have one port which is already connected back to the Dream Machine.  So, I tried connecting one of my Play 3s directly to the Dream Machine and tried to get one going that way.  It still doesn’t work.  But one thing I did not try yet is what buzz mentioned above which was to unplug all other Sonos except the one that I hardwired to my network to try to set that up.  I’ll try that and report back.  Super frustrating.  I don’t mind buying a bridge if that will fix this, but, reading other forums...not sure that will help.

I keep reading about people setting up a “different network” just for Sonos.  In theory, I could probably do that but wouldn’t that mean that I would have to have the controlling device (my iPhone) on that network in order to control any part of Sonos?

I am not a network genius.  More of a network infant, so, you might need to talk to me like I’m a 5 year old.  ;)  Thx for the help.

The Factory Reset has complicated your issues. I suggest that you power down all of the SONOS units except one and wire this unit to the first Ubiquity node. Update the WiFi credentials for the SONOS system at this time. After you get this unit working, then start fussing with the other units -- one by one -- keeping the first unit wired while you do this. If any of these additional units have been Factory Reset, take care to add them to the system, don’t accidentally build a new system by clicking the wrong link.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is the the old network stil live or not? Did you wire the Play 3 to the first node of your Ubiquity set up?