Answered

Two Subs one Input

• 28 February 2019
  • 8 replies

It is possible to have two subs in the same room on the same input?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 February 2019, 03:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Not in the same "Sonos room", no. You could have two SUBs, each connected to a different "Room" and group the two rooms together.
Seems silly. I bet it ‘confuses’ the tuning program. For larger spaces multiple subs would be needed. I’d also like to see the ability to put two Playbars side by side for a 5.1 front stage.
You can't "tune" two rooms at the same time, so it wouldn't be an issue there. You would just TruePlay them sequentially.

For larger spaces, you're probably going to have more than a pair of speakers, which is the maximum per "room" in the Sonos software. By the software definition, a "room" is a single speaker, a stereo pair of speakers, or soundbar with surrounds. Any one of those can have a SUB added to them.

Putting two PLAYBARS side by side would be very odd, since each one contains a discrete left, center and right speaker.

It sounds like the size of the space you're trying to fill isnt a standard home sized space, which is what Sonos advertises itself as, a "home" system. You may want to look for other solutions that are designed for movie theaters, or stadiums, which might give you more flexibility. Sonos really is a home consumer based company.
I understand sonos’ target market. It just seems too easy to add the capability to use multiple subs per room. I see several threads about it. Would sell more subs.

This quick sketch is what I mean by using two playbars.
What your asking for isn't just a matter for Sonos to allow. Obviously, they have to develop and test it, making sure the configuration you want works and is stable over wireless. That work would make setting up 2 Subs less profitable, perhaps even a loss.

As far as the 2 playbar idea, there are only 3 upfront channels available. Not 5. Perhaps this is some codec that supports this, but not what Sonos supports, and surely very little content that would actually produce this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe go another direction, a Sonos Amp up front with a Y cable to go to split the LFE to two Subs?

Might be tricky to TruePlay but it should rattle the windows.
I wonder if it could be as simple as adding a Master/Slave option to the subs? Master sub connects via wireless and output via the Cat5. Slaves input is via cat5. No wireless.
I wonder if it could be as simple as adding a Master/Slave option to the subs? Master sub connects via wireless and output via the Cat5. Slaves input is via cat5. No wireless.

Technically, the Sub is already a slave in every setup it's in. You're essentially talking about daisy chaining the master speaker (Whatever speaker is running the room) to the Sub, then to another sub. Not sure if the Sub is capable of that, or if it might be more efficient to just have the master speaker send an identical signal to a 2nd sub. And yes, I imagine using the ethernet port would help, but also make it less aesthetically viable to a lot of users.

To be clear, I'm all for Sonos making this happen, I'm just not certain it makes sense from a Sonos perspective. Then again, maybe it's already at the top of their todo list.