Question

TV surround sound, Turntable surround sound.

• 1 October 2016
  • 8 replies

Hi, is it possible to have the tv sound to come out of all my Sonos Play 1's/Sub when watching TV? And with the same setup,have a turntable connected to the Play1's/Sub when listen to music. I wouldn't be listening to the turntable and tv at the sametime, but might listen to the turntable and just want video from the TV. Is this possible with any combination of speakers? The turntable has a built in amp.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi, is it possible to have the tv sound to come out of all my Sonos Play 1's/Sub when watching TV? And with the same setup,have a turntable connected to the Play1's/Sub when listen to music. I wouldn't be listening to the turntable and tv at the sametime, but might listen to the turntable and just want video from the TV. Is this possible with any combination of speakers? The turntable has a built in amp.

I know I'm a late to the party but I thought this might be helpful with your setup. First-off if I'm to take the question as printed above "TV surround sound, Turntable surround sound" literally ...using Play 1's and a Sub is not Surround Sound. In the Sonos world it requires a Playbar and Play 1's or Play 3's (with or without a Sub) to have surround. Also your TV must have optical out and be able to transmit DD 5.1 over optical to the Playbar. If I missed something in the question please correct me.

Now here's my take on the quoted material. Your decision may be one of cost. All the recommendations given will work but I've taken a different approach and broken it down to USD dollars using the components that have been mentioned by others. In any event I agree that you do not need a Connect Amp. Open the attachment to see my approach. Understand I am not saying you need to do what I have outlined as it is far from perfect...I'm just looking at your question from a different angle 🆒
The play 5 = Connect Amp + built in speakers, in functional terms. So if you can place the 5 in wirable distance of the pre amp of the TT and the TV, you don't need anything else except a switch to allow the wire from the TV to the 5 unit be the operational one when desired.

If the above isn't feasible then you need a Connect or another 5 unit; the advantage of the 5 unit over the Connect is that for a little extra, you get a decent speaker as well. There is no need for a Connect Amp in any case, since you don't have external speakers that need its amplification.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Connect amp has output to wired speakers as well. If you don't plan on hooking up wired speakers use a normal connect or another play:5.
Thanks for the reply's.

Kumar, I thought I would need the connect AMP in order to connect the turntable to the speakers. The RCA cables going from the turntable to the Connect AMP and then wirelessly out to all my Play 1's/5's. Is there a way to do this without the Connect AMP? I would like to have a set up where I could be listening to a record coming out of all my speakers and have the TV on with no audio, and with the same set-up be able to listen to the TV coming out of all my Play 1's/5's speakers when I do choose to watch (and listen) to TV.

-Brett
So if I have two play 1's, a connect amp, a play 5, a turbtable with a preamp. I could have a setup where I could listen to the turntable coming out all my speakers one day and without unplugging anything the next day listen to the turntable coming out of all of my speakers? I'm usually very technically capable but for some reason Sonos advance setups are throwing me off
Sonos is easier to use than to describe how to use it - I doubt you will have trouble. Though the above quoted alternatives aren't so; they are the same. I assume one refers to getting the TV sound.

Why do you need a Connect Amp though? Do you have passive third party speakers you want to wire that to? You haven't said, hence the question.

Note also that there is small delay in the sound that can affect lip-sync with the video if you watch very closely - it doesn't bother most people so long as the TV speakers are muted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes you can listen to the tv or turntable in Any room anytime.
So if I have two play 1's, a connect amp, a play 5, a turbtable with a preamp. I could have a setup where I could listen to the turntable coming out all my speakers one day and without unplugging anything the next day listen to the turntable coming out of all of my speakers? I'm usually very technically capable but for some reason Sonos advance setups are throwing me off
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You need a Sonos component with an input to be able to hook TV and/or turntable to.

The only Sonos units with inputs are Play:5, Connect, Connect:Amp, and Playbar.