Question

Turntable line in only plays on my left PLAY:5 Gen.2 paired in stereo

• 14 September 2019
  • 11 replies

Badge
Hello there Sonos Community,

I'm encountering an issue with my PLAY:5 Gen.2 which is paired in stereo.

Here's my setup:
  • Left PLAY:5 lined in to a pre-amped turntable (RCA to RCA to 3.5mm)
  • Right Play:5 lined in to my TV (3.5 to 3.5mm cable)
Autoplay turned on with Level 5.

Here's the situation:
  • when I turn the TV on, both speakers play flawlessly. Touch controls on each speaker work .
  • when I turn the turntable on, only the left PLAY:5 plays. Touch controls on each speaker work.
What I've tried:
  • swapping the line ins (connecting the turntable to the right PLAY:5)
  • -> sound still only come from the left PLAY:5
  • changing the RCA to 3.5mm cable
  • -> no effect
This is mildly annoying.

Anyone experienced this before? Is there a fix I haven't found?

Many thanks!

(If there is a community manager coming this way, diagnostic # 200351441).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Check the 3.5 mm cable connecting the turntable to the Play:5. It should have 2 black bands on the male connector. If it has one, it is a mono cable and will only play a single channel. Also, make sure the cable is fully seated. If it is not, only one channel will be contacting the socket.
Badge
Thanks for jumping in jgatie
3.5mm is stereo and fully inserted into the line port.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
So You’ve tried with different cables, and you’ve tried switching the Play:5 you connect to. It seems the only thing left is the RCA sockets on the turntable?

What happens if you swap left and right channels - plug the “left channel” cable into the “right channel socket” and vice versa. Do you now have sound only from the right Play:5, when previously it was only from the left one?
Badge
Thanks for the suggestion
Still only coming from the left speaker ! 🤷🏻‍♂️
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Was it OK before the latest software update?
Think I read about some bug with the new version when dealing with two separate Line-ins? Could be something related?
Submit a diagnostic and report it here.
Badge
Only did this setup after latest release.
There is a diagnostic number already 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Will it work through both speakers if the TV is unplugged from the other speaker?
Badge
Will it work through both speakers if the TV is unplugged from the other speaker?
Negative, it doesn’t change anything
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
I’m baffled then.

See what the diagnostics show when Sonos get back to you. The only other thing I can suggest is power off the speakers and then restart them.

When you do resolve it, update please this thread so we know.
Badge
I’m baffled then.

See what the diagnostics show when Sonos get back to you. The only other thing I can suggest is power off the speakers and then restart them.

When you do resolve it, update please this thread so we know.

Thanks mate
I shall!

if there is anyone else with the same gadgets keen to hook them like me and let me know that’d be awesome 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@Adibou I took a look at your diagnostic report and see a couple things which may explain the issue. First, there's some wireless noise showing up, likely from nearby networks on the same wireless channel your Sonos system is using. Start by changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using to 1 or 11, which are less crowded in your area.

Also, please double check that the aux cable is fully inserted on each end as there's a note in the report that the speaker detects silence over the line-in. Try another audio source on the left speaker. It's possible that the turntable is sending more data than the TV source. The line-in connection can get overwhelmed from some audio sources. Generally, we recommend using the line-in compression option to help balance the bandwidth, but this can add an audio delay. The audio delay likely wouldn't matter for the turntable, but it could cause the TV audio to be out of sync

If these steps don't help, it would be best to continue troubleshooting live with our phone team. You can find our number here.