Turning OFF Wifi

Userlevel 2
Hi guys,

All my SONOS installations are hardwired.

Can anyone tell me, if it is possible to disable the SONOS Wifi ?

4 replies

the_mexican,

Officially, no. Try searching the web for this.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Yes, it can be done. Google is your friend. Words of caution though... I bought 2xSUBs earlier this year, and added one to my Sonos daisy-chain. It's last in line, as it only has one Ethernet socket. Some time later I disabled its wireless. Worked fine, difference clearly visible in the diagnostic Network Matrix.

However with the PLAY:1 release rumoured as imminent, there will be new firmware too. What if Sonos, in their wisdom, decide to lock that particular door? I'd be left with one of my SUBs with its wireless off, still in warranty, but non-standard and therefore no longer covered by the guarantee.

So I switched it back on this week, while I knew I could still do so. Just a thought.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
BigN wrote:

Yes, it can be done. Google is your friend. Words of caution though... I bought 2xSUBs earlier this year, and added one to my Sonos daisy-chain. It's last in line, as it only has one Ethernet socket. Some time later I disabled its wireless. Worked fine, difference clearly visible in the diagnostic Network Matrix.

However with the PLAY:1 release rumoured as imminent, there will be new firmware too. What if Sonos, in their wisdom, decide to lock that particular door? I'd be left with one of my SUBs with its wireless off, still in warranty, but non-standard and therefore no longer covered by the guarantee.

So I switched it back on this week, while I knew I could still do so. Just a thought.

I'm pretty sure that a factory reset would restore it, don't you think?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
jishi you are probable correct. Didn't think of that. I guess the maxim is to leave things as they are unless there is a very good reason to play with wireless settings!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings