Answered

Tapping sound when using turntable line-in

• 8 August 2020
  • 3 replies

I have a Technics turntable —> Pro-Ject phono box —> Play:5 (2nd Gen) which is part of a stereo pair of 5s. When I enable line-in and turn up the volume, I hear a faint whine coming out of both 5s and, more irritatingly, a really fast tapping sound coming out of the left 5 only. It’s super fast - 6 or 8 taps a second. It’s not the buzz that you hear when the preamp is ungrounded; I’ve messed with the ground connection and it doesn’t stop the whine or the left-side tapping. But I still suspect it might be ground related, because when I bring my hand to the back of the preamp to check connections, the tapping on the left stops. When I pull my hand away, it resumes. (The whine is persistent throughout.)

These artifacts aren’t terribly noticeable at lower volumes, but if I crank it up, I hear them both in between tracks or during quiet parts of songs. 

I searched for “clicking,” “tapping,” “popping” - no existing articles seemed to describe the exact same sound I’m hearing with line-in. Any suggestions on what the root of it might be? The fact that the tapping is only on the left, and stops when I bring my hand near, seems especially bizarre. 

icon

Best answer by chriscook 9 August 2020, 18:42

Kyle, I figured out the tapping sound. 

The preamp is the Pro-Ject Phono Box II MC/MM. I had it set to MC. I’m using a Grado Prestige Red cartridge, which is actually neither moving coil nor moving magnet - it’s moving iron (MI) but functionally most similar to MM as far as signal level. When I changed the setting to MM, the tapping went away. 

I still hear the whine, especially at higher volumes, but at normal listening volumes it’s not noticeable. I’ll tackle that some other day :)

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @chriscook, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I would like to know the exact model of the turntable and the phono box; so I have a picture to look at and check the specifications.

If the tapping went away from the turntable, the RCA ports could be the issue or the RCA cable; Try another RCA cable to test. 

If you have a pre-amp turntable you wouldn’t need an amplifier to go to the Play:5; have you tried connecting the Play:5 directly?

Take a diagnostic of the Sonos system in the Sonos app; so we can take a look. Setting > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic and reply with the confirmation.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out. 

Kyle, I figured out the tapping sound. 

The preamp is the Pro-Ject Phono Box II MC/MM. I had it set to MC. I’m using a Grado Prestige Red cartridge, which is actually neither moving coil nor moving magnet - it’s moving iron (MI) but functionally most similar to MM as far as signal level. When I changed the setting to MM, the tapping went away. 

I still hear the whine, especially at higher volumes, but at normal listening volumes it’s not noticeable. I’ll tackle that some other day :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @chriscook, thank you for the update.

I’m glad you found the issue. If ever you need further assistance, feel free to reach out.

The community is here to help.