Surrounds and line-in

• 19 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I know that line-in is disabled on speakers when used as surrounds.

Does Sonos have any plan to make it possible soon or after?

Thank you,

Davide

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sonos almost never disclose their future plans, when they have it’s caused more issues than it solved so i doubt they will do so again.  I can’t see the Line in being activated ever, the use case is tiny.

Userlevel 7

Nice thought, but that request only applies to a Sonos Five or Amp. I agree with @bockersjv. Also, I doubt Sonos will re-design the One and One SL for that purpose (line-in).

Although, I do have my wish for a new surround speaker with upward firing drivers to augment the Arc and Beam 2. Maybe called the One SL Plus 🤔 . Again, JMWT. 

Very unlikely. The connection to the surrounds is time-critical, with minimal buffering to try and maintain lip-sync. Likewise the Line-In feed is also often time-critical, if end-to-end delay is to be minimised. Burdening the surrounds’ connection with a PCM Line-In stream would incur unnecessary additional risk.

Badge +1

Ok, thank you all.