Question

Sub bass level adjustment

• 31 August 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
Hi all, my new sub arrived today, I have 2 S3's L and R and sub in my living room. I've adjusted my bass and treble in Eq menu which I'm guessing adjusts the bass and treble for the both my S3 and sub as a group, and it sounds ok. Then I discovered the bass adjustment in the advanced audio/Sub settings. It's currently set in the middle. Should I setup the sub bass level first then adjust the group bass and treble in the Eq menu after or visa versa? Or is the sub bass best left alone? I've completed the sound set up with my phone for sound calibration etc. Btw, I do like a punchy bass sound. Thanks in advance for your comments!

Samzie

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge
Before adjusting anything, see how it sounds as the Sub produces a lot ff bass at default, and if necessary I'd do the Sub Bass First, and leave the Room Settings alone, and then you can adjust the Room Treble and Mid to your taste. You can always go and change it again if needed, it's not like its permanent. Hope this Helps, Rupert
Badge +1
Before adjusting anything, see how it sounds as the Sub produces a lot ff bass at default, and if necessary I'd do the Sub Bass First, and leave the Room Settings alone, and then you can adjust the Room Treble and Mid to your taste. You can always go and change it again if needed, it's not like its permanent. Hope this Helps, Rupert Thank you Rupert for your reply, I shall try tomorrow when I've got the house to myself and report back. Thanks agian

Samzie
I suggest doing Trueplay first to establish a baseline and then play with the Eq controls as well as the Sub output slider. Depending on tastes, I have found that all that is needed sometimes based on music genre after Trueplay is bumping the Sub output up to the right, a step or two. The Sub output depends a lot on room interaction: for instance it can be too much if placed in a corner of the room and punchy bass can quickly turn into bloated bass though there are some who like that effect. I do not because it then overpowers the important mid range and can get to be a tiring listen as well. But this is a very subjective thing and what works best for you, is best for you.
Great suggestions in this thread. Whichever method immerses you with great sounding bass is the way to go.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
My tip if you're placing it on the floor, especially of suspended wooden like mine; is to place some thick acoustic foam underneath it to decouple it. Because of the opposing firing drivers, it doesn't matter if the cabinet isn't firmly planted, but this removes lots of room colouration.