Answered

Streaming Challenges - stop and start

• 22 December 2018
  • 8 replies

Hi All,

I have a Sonos set up covering 5 rooms with a total of 9 Speakers. I mostly stream Spotify but sometime Google Music. I have been having ongoing issues with some/all speakers stopping/starting and skipping tracks. I have submitted diagnostics 636988128. I note it is worse when I have all rooms streaming (which I like)

Below is a wifi map of the 2.4GHz band, and you'll see it's quite crowded. Phill@Home is my Telstra SMart WiFi system which has three discs. I am assuming the Sonos is the unlabelled signal on Channel 11 which is the channel the Sonos system is set on. The Optus one is my (annoying) neighbor, also on channel 11. This reading was taken in my Work Den which is close to my neighbour's side of the house. There is also a Philip's Hue Network on Channel 25. My Modem tells me I have 63 Devices connected to my network.

Any thoughts on how I best optimise this setup please ?

Merry Christmas & Blessings

Phill
icon

Best answer by ratty 22 December 2018, 13:05

Sorry, but your choice of channels is not good at all. As you'd see from the indicative graphs, channel 7 overlaps onto 11. Also ch 4 overlaps onto 1 and 7. These overlaps will cause noise and interference.

Use only channels 1, 6 and 11. Given your neighbour's presence on 11 at -70dB I'd suggest you put SonosNet on ch 6. Move the SSIDs currently using 4 & 7 to 1 & 11.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Sorry, but your choice of channels is not good at all. As you'd see from the indicative graphs, channel 7 overlaps onto 11. Also ch 4 overlaps onto 1 and 7. These overlaps will cause noise and interference.

Use only channels 1, 6 and 11. Given your neighbour's presence on 11 at -70dB I'd suggest you put SonosNet on ch 6. Move the SSIDs currently using 4 & 7 to 1 & 11.
Thanks, I'll give that a go.
Hi Ratty,

Did that, see attached wifi map, I have set the SONOS on channel 6 but is seems to want to persist on channel 11, do I need to switch something on and off to make it move ? PS New diagnostic 1551988227

Best wishes & merry Christmas

Phill
Sometimes a controller will appear to 'stick' on the previous SonosNet channel, especially if there are wireless issues. In the background the players could well have followed orders. Exit the controller and re-open it; see what SonosNet channel it shows.

As for your channel map, you must have glossed over the bit where I said "Use only channels 1, 6 and 11.". You can see that your Airport on ch 13 is seriously overlapping everything on ch 11.
Hi Ratty,
I assumed you were referring to the Sonos only on 1 - 6 - 11 not everything, anyway I have moved the Airport to 11 as well. Is this what you meant ?

Best wishes

Phill
I assumed you were referring to the Sonos only on 1 - 6 - 11 not everything, anyway I have moved the Airport to 11 as well. Is this what you meant ?
Indeed. See how you get on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
We also have a really great video about this which goes into a little detail about wireless interference and channel separation. Check it out.
@iphill2

In the graph above the networks that all share the same channel will attempt to play nice with each other. The worst possible is at the end of the graph where you have offset a network, looks like on channel 13. As you can see from the graph it overlaps with channel 11. Since they are not on the same channel the overlap is just interference they do not know it is another wifi network and as such none of the play nice together features of the wifi protocol get used. They just step on each other.

the graph does show channel 6 open, so move one or two of your networks there.