Stop Sonos phoning home

• 15 November 2017
  • 16 replies

I think I have all the stops to prevent Sonos from phoning home. Here's what I have configured on my wireless router:
- Block all internet access from Play:*, Connect & Amp
- Block all traffic from my music server PC to 104.97.121.120 (sonos.com)
What am I missing?

(oops: looks like Pandora may go through sonos.com - is that correct?)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Why? Privacy concerns only, or more to it than that?
I think I have all the stops to prevent Sonos from phoning home. Here's what I have configured on my wireless router:
- Block all internet access from Play:*, Connect & Amp
- Block all traffic from my music server PC to 104.97.121.120
What am I missing?
A good reason for doing this?
Just privacy. I may have shot myself in the foot a little - Pandora stopped working. Looks like I got wrong: 104.97.121.120 is Akamai. Oops. sonos.com is 23.198.220.216 (wait - that's Akamai too). I need to do more digging.
So you are worried about Sonos, a company that specifically states what data it collects, allows you to opt out of data collection, and specifically states they will never sell your data? Ok. But then you are fine with Pandora, who have stated they reserve the right to collect and sell your data if they wish? Color me confused. :?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just privacy. I may have shot myself in the foot a little - Pandora stopped working. Looks like I got wrong: 104.97.121.120 is Akamai. Oops. sonos.com is 23.198.220.216 (wait - that's Akamai too). I need to do more digging.
Your PC has nothing to do with playing music from Pandora on Sonos, other than using the controller software to tell your speaker what to be playing. The speaker is what makes the actual connection to the music service, so you'll need to allow your Sonos speaker(s) to connect to the internet if you want to listen to music from the internet.

And as far as what IP address(es) to block or allow, many music services use third-party content delivery networks to stream the music from... and the IP address(es) of those third party networks can vary depending on load balancing, network congestion, and other variables that you have no control over, making it hard to allow specific addresses to listen to music from a particular service.

And Sonos, I'm sure, uses a similar CDN for its own website, as well as the hosts that Sonos speakers retrieve information from about the music services that are available. So if you block Sonos' servers, your speaker may no longer be able to add new music services, or could lose access to existing ones if the service were to make changes that your speaker couldn't receive since it can't communicate with Sonos for updates. Not to mention being unable to check for or download software updates to add new features, like the new Pandora app control functionality with the latest 8.2 update.

As jgatie says, it's more likely that the privacy policy of the music service(s) that you use give that music service a lot more leeway in what they can do with your listening data than Sonos will ever do with your data.

Just enjoy the music.
Sigh... It is not that jgatie has no point at all, it is kind of odd to block one and not the other. On the other hand, the "argument" that Sonos and others are benign because they promise to keep your data secure and will never sell it is blatantly absurd. Not because I think Sonos has it in for us, I don't think they do, but because it is at best naive to assume they will never be hacked. I use an old Raspberry that I had lying around and installed Pi-hole on it. It blocks ads and can also selectively block websites collecting your data. In the case of Sonos I just block msmetrics.ws.sonos.com (as well as opting out of data collection and the rest).
Sigh... It is not that jgatie has no point at all, it is kind of odd to block one and not the other. On the other hand, the "argument" that Sonos and others are benign because they promise to keep your data secure and will never sell it is blatantly absurd. Not because I think Sonos has it in for us, I don't think they do, but because it is at best naive to assume they will never be hacked. I use an old Raspberry that I had lying around and installed Pi-hole on it. It blocks ads and can also selectively block websites collecting your data. In the case of Sonos I just block msmetrics.ws.sonos.com (as well as opting out of data collection and the rest).

If someone wants to hack Sonos to get at my song listings, how often I listen to Amazon vs SiriusXM, what genres I fancy, and other such nonsense, I'm not worried, for anybody with that sad a life is no threat. And if I were worried, I would turn off data collection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you're that bothered about theoretical risks why use Sonos? Why not just get a radio, CD player, mp3 player and be done?

Why buy a system that requires internet connectivity to function properly and then worry endlessly about theoretical risks?

I'm with MikeV and jgatie. There are real risks we all face and sensible precautions we all should take. Doing what the OP is doing is literally a waste of time, effort and emotional worry.
Userlevel 1
If you're that bothered about theoretical risks why use Sonos? Why not just get a radio, CD player, mp3 player and be done?

Why buy a system that requires internet connectivity to function properly and then worry endlessly about theoretical risks?

I'm with MikeV and jgatie. There are real risks we all face and sensible precautions we all should take. Doing what the OP is doing is literally a waste of time, effort and emotional worry.

Yeah... whatever. I paid a good price for a wireless audio audio system. I bought it in a store. There is nothing on the box stating it's going to constantly ping metrics home AFTER I disable metrics in the app, on all the devices and everywhere.

I'll just block the metrics address, but when you guys tell people to "get a radio" - that's the epitome of hilarity to someone like me... if I turn off data collection, then data collection should be off. Not constantly pinging home more often than even Google's services and browsing on my desktop computers... the app is closed and it's pinging home every minute... It is THE MOST blocked call home on my network - even with data collection turned off.

It's not psychosis or paranoia - it's wrong. I'm entitled to question why the heck it's doing it.
Userlevel 1
To note - I haven't even used the Sonos on for two days... so - it's just constant chatter about my equipment or something.

I'll just block it and not Wireshark it, but that questioning is exactly how people caught Samsung, Sony and a bunch of companies doing questionable data collection - so when people downplay the issue - it's a realistic discussion to have.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah... whatever. I paid a good price for a wireless audio audio system. I bought it in a store. There is nothing on the box stating it's going to constantly ping metrics home AFTER I disable metrics in the app, on all the devices and everywhere.

I'll just block the metrics address, but when you guys tell people to "get a radio" - that's the epitome of hilarity to someone like me... if I turn off data collection, then data collection should be off. Not constantly pinging home more often than even Google's services and browsing on my desktop computers... the app is closed and it's pinging home every minute... It is THE MOST blocked call home on my network - even with data collection turned off.

It's not psychosis or paranoia - it's wrong. I'm entitled to question why the heck it's doing it.

I am with you on this. Whilst loving my Sonos I also have decided to block it calling home. In the last 16 hours it has been blocked 3000 times from hitting msmetrics.ws.sonos.com

That just isn't normal.
I am with you on this. Whilst loving my Sonos I also have decided to block it calling home. In the last 16 hours it has been blocked 3000 times from hitting msmetrics.ws.sonos.com

That just isn't normal.

If you've subscribed to a music service it will probably stop to work on Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge

That just isn't normal.

nope, all works perfectly fine.

Nah, online sources are definitely not affected. I count 27 added streaming services listed in my Sonos app, all those I tested are playing fine with most of Sonos sub domains being permanently blocked on my router. You might experience issues submitting system diagnostics though, but this can be avoided by simply de-activating the filter temporarily.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Was browsing one of my network monitors and came across "msmetrics.ws.sonos.com" as frequently blocked. I did a quick search and found it was associated with Sonos and non-malicious. During my search I came across this thread. I thought it was worth contribution.

Consider... Sonos speakers and software are frequently updated and the do not charge you any ongoing service fees. They develope and maintain in a constantly changing environment and manage to keep even some of their earliest devices relevant. Gathering data on how their customers use the speakers, controllers, services and sources seems like a good way to provide the customer a better experience.