Question

Static IP addresses

Badge

Hi

I am relatively techie but not a computer buff.

I have a Virgin 3.0 hub and I have a Soundbar and two x Play 1s (not the latest versions)

They were all on DHCP but I have assigned static IP addresses to them on the Virgin device. I have gone at the top end and allocated .210/211/212.

They all work ok but with some issues.

If I go into Sonos app/about my system, only the Play 1 with .212 is showing correctly. The other Play 1 and the Soundbar have reverted to old DHCP addresses of .015 and .021

I use eset internet security and that keeps popping up a message to say “malicious traffic” is being blocked from .015.

Help to clear this would be great, thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Re ESET, go to Setup → Network → Troubleshooting wizard, you should see what has recently been blocked. You have the option to unblock items that are being blocked *IF* you trust the device(s).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

They were all on DHCP but I have assigned static IP addresses to them on the Virgin device. I have gone at the top end and allocated .210/211/212.

Just on a point of detail, your speakers are still using DHCP, but the router’s DHCP server is supplying the same ‘reserved’ IP address each time a speaker (identified by its MAC address) makes a DHCP request. (‘Static’ IP addresses would be assigned on the device itself: not possible with Sonos speakers.

Note that the reserved IP addresses won’t be picked up until the speakers renew their leases, or until they’re rebooted.