Question

Static IP address

• 24 August 2012
  • 38 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi Putting manually static ip address into the device is dangerous because you have to keep a list of used ips somewhere to not use the same ip twice and have network problems. As Sonos advised is better to use a router dhcp mapping to set a mac address with a specific ip.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I just love the people who troll this forum arguing against an OPTION that they would never use because they can't handle consulting a list BEFORE assigning a static address and therefore always had conflicts in doing so.  You are why many devices warn that you must be a professional with knowledge of networks before enabling these features...  also probably why there is instructions on SHAMPOO...  I Have hundreds of networks online with static addressing for all permanent hardwired fixtures.  DHCP is for user level devices, iphones, laptops, tablets, etc.  Not for infrastructure, control, and automation.  I am not only a user but an integrator, it's what I do.  DHCP is why the "proper" reboot sequence is modem, router, then ALL your devices.  I don't EVER want to roll a truck to reboot all 100 devices on someone's network because they got lost in the land of auto-IP because their DHCP requests timed out.  My networks come back online as soon as the switch is back up.  The router just allows for outbound comms.  In other words, with static IP, when things fail you'd still see all your rooms up, you'd still have access to line in sources, when you go to online sources such as TuneIn or Pandora, it would say station list unavailable, Pointing the user to the fact that his/her internet is down.  He/She would then reboot their router and modem if my (statically assigned) PDU wasn't already doing so for them.  All they need to do to fix stupid is and stupid does is make an additional network reset procedure, like factory reset except maybe holding the volume down while applying power instead of mute.  That way when tweedle dee and tweedle dumb muck up their static addressing (again) tech support can walk them through performing a network reset instead of issuing an RMA for something that "doesn't work" because they disregarded the warnings that they should know what they are doing before changing these settings because the hundred devices they have bought and connected using defaults should have made them an expert...
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Beynym, are you serious? What you're saying makes no sense on multiple levels. Static IP's hard to maintain? Like how? They need to be watered or fed? Or maybe groomed? Really?

So, you are happy to be restricted on how you could configure your device? I am not. I want to have options to do with it as much as I can. That makes ME happy. To see that the manufacturer took the time to implement good software,not asking me to change everything I have just because they want to protect me from making mistakes.

There is a quick cure against IP conflicts: it's called a list. It could be done the old fashion way,pen&paper, or on a tablet. Why do I even waste my time here? Because you made us stupid ( me and all the others above) for asking for something that SHOULD be there for a device commanding this amount of money. Read some replies from other " argumentative" people above. Maybe you'll educate yourself why we ask for this.

I have no skin in the game, i kept the Bose system. Same price and 5 minutes to configure.

I just love those guys who spend time at forums of products they don't own..
Beynym, are you serious? What you're saying makes no sense on multiple levels. Static IP's hard to maintain? Like how? They need to be watered or fed? Or maybe groomed? Really?

So, you are happy to be restricted on how you could configure your device? I am not. I want to have options to do with it as much as I can. That makes ME happy. To see that the manufacturer took the time to implement good software,not asking me to change everything I have just because they want to protect me from making mistakes.

There is a quick cure against IP conflicts: it's called a list. It could be done the old fashion way,pen&paper, or on a tablet. Why do I even waste my time here? Because you made us stupid ( me and all the others above) for asking for something that SHOULD be there for a device commanding this amount of money. Read some replies from other " argumentative" people above. Maybe you'll educate yourself why we ask for this.

I have no skin in the game, i kept the Bose system. Same price and 5 minutes to configure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
you can get static ip or a dedicated ip by purchasing a vpn tool. this tool will allow you to set ip as per your own choice so you can connect with any country any time. here you can find best vpn for uk

I just love those guys with their argumentatio's ad hominem.
Userlevel 1
Badge
you can get static ip or a dedicated ip by purchasing a vpn tool. this tool will allow you to set ip as per your own choice so you can connect with any country any time. here you can find best vpn for uk

So you think all network equipment should be dumbed down because you can't properly implement a managed network environment?  It would still default, like everything else in the world, to be DHCP.  We are just asking for the "advanced" tab, the extra suite of options that only people like us would use...  BTW, they are the EASIEST to maintain as they NEVER CHANGE...  what happens when your miracle router dies and takes all those reservations with it?  gotta reprogram everything.  I just enter the same IP scheme and DHCP pool and I'm done.  No MAC's to enter and reserve, nada...  What a REAL network admin does, you are nothing more than a sysop.

I've recently asked Sonos a out the same issue. I wanted to know if they will ever integrate this option. Instead of a yes or no I got directed to this forum ( which I knew about already). Bravo Sonos for not answering my question and basically tell me to go away. I did go away to Bose. Maybe when the bottom line will be hurt you'll actually take into consideration that not everyone wants to use DHCP. Too bad that your hardware is not supported by smart software.
Userlevel 1
Badge

This reply is spam or he doesn't understand what this thread is about.  A VPN tool would be to set an external static IP, not an internal IP...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Reservations are not the same... not by a longshot.  They only help if your router is not designed for a heavy load and can sometimes run out of addresses to hand out.  This can happen due to devices coming on and offline such as cell phones.  They are leased for 24 hours by default normally even if they are only on for 5 seconds! 

Where Static IP can really help is if there are uncontrollable factors in a network, the sonos system can be made to function without the router's help.  In the event the router dies, the sonos components continue to talk to one another so that line inputs still work and the control devices can still access them, so the customer doesn't roll a truck to find out they hit reset controller, then rebooted the router (fixing the problem) but still can't get in because instead of rebooting the controller, they reset it, meaning unlearned all sonos components.  In this config, the only thing that will fail is internet lookups, which will point them (correctly) at their modem.  Once outbound comms are established, static addresses work and IMMEDIATELY you start communicating... not 60 seconds later when sonos decides to poll another address...  leading them to say, nope wasn't the modem, lets unplug the router, then the cycle of needlessness continues...
I use nothing but assigned IP addresses at my home too.  However several of the other network devices at home (for example ROKU) do not allow direct IP assignment.  For those devices I use Static DHCP (same as address reservations, there is no standard term for it).  I have a reliable old Linksys WRT54G router for the home.  By default it does not do Static DHCP, so I installed Tomato.  Tomato is much more "powerful".  It support Static DHCP, and now all my devices have static addresses, directly or through Static DHCP. 
I love my Sonos system at home...so much I bought a play 3 and bridge to put in my office. We use static IP adresses and I don't want to get into one of the three wireless routers in the office and start tinkering. If this is the only sollution, I am boxing up play 3 and bridge and returning to BestBuy. That should be fun.
This is the laziest, most asinine implementation of the TCP/IP stack that you could possibly produce. If you don't want to put the work into implementing TCP/IP so that you can manually enter IP information, then you shouldn't use the protocol. You idiot consumer electronics companies just don't get it.