Spotify connect disappearing for 6 months

• 21 March 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hello,

My problem: the control of spotify via the spotify app does not work. I have a beam 2 play3, a sub and a Play1.

I tried many things like power off the router, all the devices, go wired, not wired, force the sonos wifi, remove all the spotify etc… First disappointment, the device does not detect the 5ghz wifi, my router is not dual band so I prefer to wire the beam and then go for the sonos wifi solution.

All the actions I did before either did not work at all or just solved the problem for few hour/week.

These days, I have to work at home and somehow I plugged my computer on the Rj45 and surprise, spotify found the all thee devices! On my mobile phone (that is connected through wifi) the device does not appear on the spotify connect, the app Audible seems to find only one room (living room)

It seems that the apps on device connected to the wifi are incapable to recognise the devices connected through the wired network and don’t make a complete local network search.

Is there an action to help 3rd party apps to have a better implementation of the sonos environment?

Thanks!

Eric

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Unfortunately, I can only offer my assistance here where I belong.

My recommendation would be to keep a unit hardwired or consider acquiring a Sonos Boost considering that a hardwired connection to the network is allowing the Spotify service to identify the player. 

The root of the issue is most likely tied to the music service having a difficulty communicating through the network to identify the speaker. A hardwired connection allows an easier transmission of information and may explain why Spotify is having issues identifying the Sonos player. It is possible they may point to your network or how its configured. 

Try to ensure that the router is up to date with it’s firmware and no ports/connections are being filtered out.

Badge

The spotify support is a joke… I don’t know where to raise an issue :joy:

Tried to submit an idea even hahah.

Can you help them Adam? ;)

Can you see all devices and play Spotify using the Sonos app?

Whst type of phone, Apple or Android?

Badge

Yes the sonos app works fine on mac and iphone and android, did not try on PC though.

I can play spotify and audible from the sonos app.

This thread has a few suggestions that have worked for some people.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-devices-on-spotify-connect-not-appearing-on-iphone-ios-6828866

Badge

Nah, it does not work unfortunately. thanks for your reply.

So the funny thing is that when I connect via wiree to my router I see the devices. When my spotify app is connected via wifi, I don’t see the devices.

For the sonos app everything works fine.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @er.besnard.

Because the Spotify service is discovering Sonos players when wired but not on WiFi, the issue may be communication based between the WiFi and how the Spotify identifies casting players.

You said that in the Sonos app everything is discovered and working. This would rule out the players dropping from the network. Because Spotify scans for casting devices in their own way, we would have limited control on influencing that further.

If you have already rebooted the network, controller and all Sonos players, It may be best to reach out to Spotify’s support channel to troubleshoot how they identify WiFi speakers for casting..

Badge

Ok, so the search is made by 3rd party apps and not implemented in one of your API. Ok, I’ll reach out to Spotify indeed.

Thanks.