Question

Spotify Connect, 5GHz Virgin, 2.4ghz BT, 2 routers how?

• 19 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Setup;

1 X Virgin Media router set at 5ghz only, has internet ~200mb/s. Connected devices are iPhone, Mac, IMac etc.

1 x BT router, set at 2.4ghz only, has all the poorer quality devices setup, CCTV, Sonos, Alexa.

how can I use my iPhone/Mac which is connected to virgin with Spotify Connect to change the Sonos playing songs that are connected on the BT modem? 

Any suggestions welcome thanks.

3 replies

Sonos controllers and players need to be on the same subnet.

The BT router is ... a router. It’s dividing your network into two subnets, and firewalling off the ‘public’ side -- i.e. the VM router -- from its private clients. Controllers on the VM’s 5GHz WiFi therefore won’t see anything connected to the BT router’s LAN side. 

Why are you still using the BT box?  

Sonos controllers and players need to be on the same subnet.

The BT router is ... a router. It’s dividing your network into two subnets, and firewalling off the ‘public’ side -- i.e. the VM router -- from its private clients. Controllers on the VM’s 5GHz WiFi therefore won’t see anything connected to the BT router’s LAN side. 

Why are you still using the BT box?  

I “assume” my Sonos system doesn’t support 5ghz, I have 2 x Sonos One (stereo pair) 1 x Sonos Five and 1 x Sonos Play:1.

i have both Virgin and BT installed as my house so separate out the networks.

thanks!

I “assume” my Sonos system doesn’t support 5ghz, I have 2 x Sonos One (stereo pair) 1 x Sonos Five and 1 x Sonos Play:1.

A Sonos system in WiFi (“wireless”) mode can’t connect to 5GHz, but in SonosNet (“wired”) mode it would work fine.

I have both Virgin and BT installed as my house so separate out the networks.

With independent incoming broadband connections? I’d assumed you’d cascaded an old BT router off the VM router. If the networks are entirely separate there’s absolutely no chance of controllers attached to one network discovering devices on the other.

That said, if you were to first connect your phone to the BT router and begin Spotify Connect playback you could then move the phone back to the VM router and the cloud link to the Sonos players would be maintained. But once the connection was lost you’d have to connect the phone to the BT box all over again. Quite a hassle. 

Why don’t you simply use the Sonos system on your VM router?