Speaker Selector vs. Volume Controller

• 7 July 2021
  • 2 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

I plan to run 3 pairs of Sonos/Sonance in-ceiling speakers off of one (1) Sonos Amp.  I would like to be able to control the volume of each of the pairs independently.  I have been investigating two options:

1. Utilize a speaker selector with volume controls.  I’ve seen several on amazon from Niles, Pyle, Russond, etc.
  2. Utilized individual in-wall volume controls.  I’m looking at the Niles VSC100k volume controller.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007N0TB14/?coliid=I2OEKYW122JM5P&colid=1E2M3IRSRYJHX&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Does anyone have an opinion on the pros and cons of each option?  Is one option a clear choice?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Danny - Thanks for the comprehensive answer.  I appreciate it.

Option 1 - 

Pros - Allows separate volume control. probably cheapest option.  Easily removed if you change your mind.

Cons -  Cannot use Sonos app or other control method for ‘smart’ volume control method.  You have to go to this device (or remote if available) to control volume, which is usually different room than speaker. From my experience, speaker connections tend to be difficult to work with.

Option 2 -

Pros  - Allows volume control, can be done from within room where speaker is.

Cons - Will cost more than option 1 when factoring in additional wiring and such. Once installed, you cannot easily remove this without using a blank wall plate at a minimum.  You will always need to get up and walk to the wall to change volume.

Please note that if you’re connecting 3 pairs to one amp, you won’t be able to properly trueplay tune the Sonance speakers.

Roughly, either option is going to cost around $2750 or so, not counting wiring and labor.

If you went with 3 amps, with 3 pairs of Sonance speakers, that will be around $3750. So you are saving around $1000, but you are losing smart volume control and the ability to play separate audio in the different rooms.  You could also replace Sonance speakers with cheaper but still really good ceiling speakers for around $300 apiece  That would put your total cost at about $2850.  You’re losing the ability to trueplay tune (which you didn’t have with options 1 and 2 anyway, but that’s about it.

Full disclosure, I haven’t heard the Sonance speakers in person, tuned or not, so I can’t accurately compare sound quality.  I’ve used plenty of ceiling speakers in general though, and have been pretty happy with results.