Question

Sonos ZP80 and Third Party Sub

• 10 June 2019
  • 5 replies

I got hold of a used ZP80 and it works great from adding my old turnatble so I can play my old LP's. I noticed the ZP80 has an analogue RCA out and a digital Optical out.

So as my budget doen't allow me to buy the Sonos sub today, I was wondering if I can use a third party sub with my ZP80.

I look forward to receiving your feedback, thanks in advance (:

5 replies

Is your Sonos not wired to an amp? Get a sub that will work with the amp, it does not matter to the ZP which one that is.
Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your reply. No I don’t have an amp, no space. So currently my Connect is setup on my computer desk & has the CD player plugged in for testing.

I have an old turntable I want to connect to play old vinyls on occasions, but need a preamp.

I notices the audio outputs on the connect & was looking to get an active sub to compliment my Beam/Play 1 setup.

I have seen the Sonos sub vs third party sub debate, but as I have this Connect, a reasonably price sub would enhance my setup further.

Regards

Roy
Hi. The ZP80 was designed to work with a conventional amplifier. You cannot use any form of sub with the ZP80 itself.
Hi. The ZP80 was designed to work with a conventional amplifier. You cannot use any form of sub with the ZP80 itself.
Why not John, if the analog line out is wired to an active Sub that has a crossover inside?
If a cheap used ZP or Connect can be found, as well as a capable active third party Sub for a combined price that is less than the price of a used/new Sonos Sub, this may be a way to save some money. There is a risk of not getting main speaker/sub integration to the extent needed for enhancing music sound quality from the main speaker, and it is certain that the sound quality will be trumped by the Sonos Sub. You will also not get the benefit of the subtle mid range enhancement in the main speaker when it is bonded with the Sonos Sub.
With these caveats, go ahead!