Answered

Sonos will not stream radio

• 18 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I have had my Sonos One for a year and a bit and have always been able to ask Alexa to play BBC Radio stations with no problem. I have just changed my router to OpenWRT and cannot for the life of me get my Sonos to play radio. I can stream to it using Spotify Connect, the Sonos app and AirPlay, but if I ask Alexa to play BBC 6Music (for example) I’m met with silence. She clearly understands what I have asked, as she will play the BBC tune but then nothing else. I’ve tried changing over to Google Assistant and asking it to do the same thing but Google tells me that the speaker is not available. Both assistants seem able to connect to the internet as they will happily give me weather forecasts etc. 

I assume this is a router problem since it never happened with my previous one but I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar or had any tips on how to diagnose the fault? I have a Google Home Mini elsewhere in my house which will happily play the same radio stations via the new router without any problems. 

Thank you 

icon

Best answer by thecuriousscientist 19 July 2020, 00:31

Third update: For anyone in the same situation - I had to deregister my Alexa app and Alexa on Sonos from my Amazon account, remove all the skills and then link the Sonos back to Alexa again and re-enable all the skills. I think it might have been the Sonos skill that was the problem because I had tried removing and re-adding the Spotify & BBC skills previously. 

View original

3 replies

UPDATE: It appears that Alexa cannot stream from Spotify either, nor can she control Spotify playback. However, I can stream to the speaker using Spotify Connect from my phone. 

Second update: I’ve connected my old router up again and the problem still persists so it must be a Sonos problem rather than a router problem. I’ve factory reset the speaker and the app and re-connected it all for the fourth time and I’m still getting the same problems. Any advice on what to try would be greatly appreciated. 

Third update: For anyone in the same situation - I had to deregister my Alexa app and Alexa on Sonos from my Amazon account, remove all the skills and then link the Sonos back to Alexa again and re-enable all the skills. I think it might have been the Sonos skill that was the problem because I had tried removing and re-adding the Spotify & BBC skills previously.