Sonos (Turntable / Yamaha Integrated Amp) Advice

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Badge
So would you just recommend me do turntable > phono > connect > Yamaha > speakers.

I'm using a Yamaha a-s701. And a pro-ject tube box s2 as the phono preamp
You could do all of those things, but they will not affect the heard sound a jot, compared to the existing set up. And while I can't be as sure, neither will dumping the phono amp, and using the one of the Yamaha via the alternative suggested from REC out to Connect - I can't be sure for not knowing enough about the two pre amps.

The other reason for using the Yamaha is if you had other sources like Tuner and CD player as well. Then you could use the Yamaha as a switcher to route these sources to the Connect. But if your only sources are Turntable and streamed music, leave things as they are. Because moving the turntable to the Yamaha directly will cause out of sync sound between the Yamaha speakers and Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Digital out is only one way, you need to line in to the Sonos Connect to allow streaming out to other speakers from the receiver source (phono). You need to line out from connect to receiver to allow streaming into receiver from WiFi sources.
Badge
What in your opinion will sound better?
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
If you use the rca outs on the Sonos, the Sonos is decoding the sound files. If you use the digital out on the Sonos, that job falls on the receiver. Choose the one that sounds best to you.
Badge
So to make sure i'm understanding. You can put RCA's in the Yahamah's Line 2 REC into Connect Input RCAs. Then take RCAs into the Connect Output and plug them into the Yamaha Yamaha Line 2 Inputs?

Could I just plug the Coax from the Sonos into the Coax on the Yamaha?

Thanks for your help.
Badge
I've read that the phono input on the Yahama isn't the best quality. So, I purchased an all Tube Phono Preamp.
Badge
I was thinking that if I'm not using the Sonos speakers. I won't have the Connect changing the sound signal for the sound of my passive speakers.

Does the Connect not effect the sound at all if it's Uncompressed. I've heard that it does.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
As stated above, Sonos to rec line out. Also connect the line out or digital line out from Sonos to the amp for streaming.
By the way, is your phono preamp not redundant since you have phono input on the Yamaha?
Yes; then the REC out on the Yamaha would be wired to the Line in on the Connect, and the Connect outs to the Yamaha.

Why do you want to do this?