Sonos surround sound on projector without playbar

• 6 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Guys I’m after some advice. I’m planning on having a projector for movies etc. But I’m struggling with how I can get to use sonos as the surround sound. My problem is I don’t want a playbar, I would like to use a play 5 at the front and 2 play 1’s at the rear. The tv source will be in a different room and the projector in the ceiling.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You can't setup Sonos speakers in this way. To setup a Sonos HT, you must start if off with a Beam/Playbar/Playbase as the L+R+Center channels and as sort of the wireless hub for the rest of the speakers in the setup. A Play 5 isn't capable of providing that functionality.
Ah ok. I’ll have to not use the sonos system then. Because the playbar has to attach to the tv which in this case in a projector in the ceiling. And the source is in a different room so no chance of getting it to work. Never mind. Cheers
You could have a Sonos Amp > two of your own speakers in front, > two Sonos Play 1 as surrounds
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You could have a Sonos Amp > two of your own speakers in front, > two Sonos Play 1 as surrounds
But they would not be surrounds in the true sense. They would just be replication or the L and R channels.

Unless you have the beam/bar or base you will also a get an audio delay, which may annoy you.
But they would not be surrounds in the true sense. They would just be replication or the L and R channels.

Unless you have the beam/bar or base you will also a get an audio delay, which may annoy you.
No, I think you are wrong on this one @bockersjv. The new Amp supports this set up. The only difference is that it will have a 'phantom' centre channel rather than the genuine separate channel.that the Playbar etc have.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks John B. Good to know.