Answered

Sonos speaker on different WIFI to phone (2.4 & 5ghz)

• 22 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi, I’m new to the Sonos ecosystem 

1 x playbar

2 x sonos one’s (with akexa)

So far I’m loving the compatibility but I’m unsure how AirPlay works when my speakers are connected to the dedicated 2.4ghz network and my phone is connected to the 5ghz network? Both networks are completely independent [xxx(2.4) & xxx(5)] so they are distinguishable. Whilst this is the case I’m still able to AirPlay without an issue. So I’m wondering how my phone is picking up the speakers to AirPlay when they are on two completely different networks? 
it goes against my understanding of wifi networks and internet security?
Hence my question. 

icon

Best answer by ratty 22 November 2020, 18:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Your router’s two WiFi bands are not ‘two completely different networks’. They’re two wireless segments on the same private network (IP subnet). Devices on one band will be able to see devices on the other. This is perfectly normal. 

Ok, so I can dictate which SSID my phone connects to ie. (xxx5ghz) and it can find devices on the dedicated xxx2.4 network, like the sonos as its simultaneously working.

However I also run a guest network for visitors and that’s a completely seperate network and keeps my Sonos invisible to people connected to the guest network?

Yes, a guest SSID is on a different IP subnet (‘network’). Visitors won’t be able to see anything on your main network. Moreover visitors usually won’t even be able to see one another (which is why Sonos can’t work on a guest network).