Question

Sonos Play won't recognise the network from my 5G home hub

• 12 October 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi. I have replaced my home ADSL internet with a 5G hub, which is currently operating off the 4G network here. All my devices have connected without issue (Apple TV, Macbook, Android phone & ipad) except for my Sonos Play:1 speakers. They cannot detect it.
Has anyone in Australia been able to defeat this issue?
thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I'm with John on this one, as usual.

4G and 5G would be the method by which your data reaches your router. The router should be creating a LAN (typically called Wifi for the wireless portion of it). But there's something else going on, if an ethernet cable between the router and the speaker isn't allowing it to connect. As John suggests, a call to Sonos Support directly would be a much easier potential solution, rather than returning the speakers.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
It is extremely unlikely that Sonos is incapable of connecting to your network by Ethernet or 2.4GHz band. The fact that your router connects to the internet by 4G or 5G or whatever is irrelevant to this issue. It might be quicker and cheaper to contact Sonos Support than to sell your speakers and replace them.

The phrase 'actual wifi' means nothing here. Your router does not turn anything into anything. Your wifi is just wifi. With an Ethernet connection wifi is irrelevant anyway.
Thanks so much Bruce. Yes, I have a home hub that turns 4G & 5G mobile bandwidth into a home wifi network. Our internet infrastructure in Australia is pretty poor, so I went with this device because of the speeds we'll get on 5G far exceeds any fixed broadband service.

i'm using the 2.4gh network and the speaker won't recognise the network when connected via ethernet. I think the issue is that Sonos must have actual Wifi Which is strange, because all my other devices connet just fine to the 4G/5G home hub.

Time for new speakers, sadly
Not sure what you mean by 5G and 4G, these are networks here in the states that carry cell phone signals, not WiFi (per se) signals.

Most WiFi router’s use two channels, a 5Ghz channel and a 2.4Ghz channel. Sonos only connects to a 2.4Ghz signal, most often referred to as an 802.11 b/g/n.

Is it possible your new router is only broadcasting on a 5Ghz channel, that the Sonos is unable to connect to?

If this is the case, there are two potential solutions.

First, you could just wire one of your Sonos devices to your router with an Ethernet cable. At that point, the Sonos device creates its own 2.4Ghz network, commonly known as SonosNet. All of your other speakers would then connect to your system through that wired device.

Or, you can go in to your router’s Settings, and have it broadcast a 2.4Ghz channel, and have the Sonos devices connect to that.