Answered

Sonos Play 5 (Gen 2) Pairing with another Play 5 (Gen 2) OR 2 X Play ONE/SL

• 6 March 2020
  • 4 replies

I know this question would have been asked before, however i tried to search through but nothing was specific to my question, so here i go,

Little bit of a background on my usage, i use it to listen to music in my bedroom. I would love to wind down a busy day with some calm and peaceful music in my bedroom which will help me de-stress and help me go to sleep. so no requirements for high Bass. 

I have a Play 5 (Gen 2). I want to expand it. I read lot of people suggesting 2 X Play 5 (Gen 2) in Stereo pair. I am not sure if it would do justice to get 2 Play 5 (Gen2) in my bedroom. I was instead leaning towards getting 2 X Sonos One/SL for a Stereo pair to be used along with my Play 5 (Gen 2). Any prior experience with similar setups ? is it worth getting 2 X One/SL to join my Play 5 (Gen 2) or will i be better off with 2 X Play 5 (Gen 2) ? Any suggestions would be of great help and Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 6 March 2020, 14:14

Hi @iamST81 

Assuming I understand you correctly adding as second Play 5 in your bedroom (given your requirements) would be overkill. 

I’d move the Play 5 to another area and purchase a single Sonos One or One SL for the bedroom. Adding  a stereo pair in your bedroom would IMO duplicate the Play 5.

Bedrooms typically are not the place where CRITICAL listening is done. Proper positioning of a single Sonos One or One SL may be adequate. I’d start with one (preferably the Sonos One to add either Alexa or Google assistant) and if not satisfied then purchase a second to create a stereo pair. The second speaker could be a Sonos One SL as you probably would not need a voice assistant on both.

Let me know if I have misunderstood your goals/requirments.

Cheers!

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @iamST81 

Assuming I understand you correctly adding as second Play 5 in your bedroom (given your requirements) would be overkill. 

I’d move the Play 5 to another area and purchase a single Sonos One or One SL for the bedroom. Adding  a stereo pair in your bedroom would IMO duplicate the Play 5.

Bedrooms typically are not the place where CRITICAL listening is done. Proper positioning of a single Sonos One or One SL may be adequate. I’d start with one (preferably the Sonos One to add either Alexa or Google assistant) and if not satisfied then purchase a second to create a stereo pair. The second speaker could be a Sonos One SL as you probably would not need a voice assistant on both.

Let me know if I have misunderstood your goals/requirments.

Cheers!

I have a Play 5 in a room and just purchase a Sonos 5 to place in the same room.  I try to pair the two (2) speakers and it tells me that I need to pair with a compatible speaker.  Are thes two (2) speakers not compatible and if they are what am I doing wrong.

Thanks in Advance,

JSJB

They aren’t compatible for stereo pairing. You could group them together, though. 

Userlevel 7

I have a Play 5 in a room and just purchase a Sonos 5 to place in the same room.  I try to pair the two (2) speakers and it tells me that I need to pair with a compatible speaker.  Are thes two (2) speakers not compatible and if they are what am I doing wrong.

Thanks in Advance,

JSJB

As further explanation. The Sonos Five is not considered an upgrade to the Play 5 despite what one might think. Although almost identical in appearance (confusing I know) they are considered different speakers.  The differences are mainly internal and therefore cannot be brought together as a stereo pair.