Answered

Sonos Outputting a Signal 2 Minutes After Mute/Stop

• 31 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Working with a large system consisting of 16 x Sonos Ports feeding a Symetrix Audio System with automatic signal sensing, whereby the Symetrix switches over to Sonos when it detects a signal coming out of the phono output. 

Has worked perfectly fine for the last 18 months then started playing up around the end of September.

Managed to properly troubleshoot today and worked out that the Sonos is outputting a momentary signal exactly two minutes after the Port is paused/stopped but I’m also suspicious that it’s sending out this same signal at other random times as the client has reported the Symetrix switching sporadically for the last 5 weeks. 

Have a feeling this is down to the Idle/Eco mode  that was advertised as being rolled out on all Sonos products in 2022 but just wondering why it outputs a signal when going into idle mode and if there’s any way around this?

From other posts I’m led to believe that it isn’t possible to disable Idle Mode so wondering how I’m going to fix this without having to manipulate the signal sensing to listen for a longer “pulse” before switching.

Would rather fix the root of problem if at all possible

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 31 October 2022, 19:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I’m not an expert in the area, and could be way off, but the first thing I would do is use a regular aux input rather than the phono input on the Symetrix Audio System ….if I read that correct.  You don’t need a preamp with the Port, but maybe ‘phono’ is misplaced here.

Anyway to turn down the signal sensitivity on the Symetrix?  I’d also look to use the 12v trigger for control if that’s at all possible.

I might ask the client to create a diagnostic next time the issue happens, and then provide to Sonos support. Haven’t heard of this issue happening with other receiver/amps.

When I wrote phono above I meant to refer to the RCA outputs. Annoyingly the Symetrix doesn’t have 3.5mm 12V trigger in so our easiest option was signal sensing of the actual audio signal. The Crestron/Symetrix programmers have adjusted the signal sensitivity and this seems to have done the trick.

The best plan is to configure the Symetrix to use the 12V trigger -- if possible.

Do all of the PORTS trigger their Symetrix input or is this an issue with one or a few PORT(s)? It’s possible that a new ground loop has developed that can feed transients into the Symetrix. From your description is seems possible that there are two issues. First, the PORT(s) create a transient as they shut down, second, ground loop transients are randomly keying the Symetrix.

An contributor could be SONOS Autoplay. If a PORT is set to Autoplay, a transient could start play (of nothing), then a PORT shutdown transient could trigger the Symetrix.

I’m not an expert in the area, and could be way off, but the first thing I would do is use a regular aux input rather than the phono input on the Symetrix Audio System ….if I read that correct.  You don’t need a preamp with the Port, but maybe ‘phono’ is misplaced here.

Anyway to turn down the signal sensitivity on the Symetrix?  I’d also look to use the 12v trigger for control if that’s at all possible.

I might ask the client to create a diagnostic next time the issue happens, and then provide to Sonos support. Haven’t heard of this issue happening with other receiver/amps.

Why not re-create this issue, then submit a diagnostic report to Sonos, so that they have hard data with which to pass on to their code crew, to confirm or deny your diagnosis? I’d probably call in to discuss that diagnostic, too, just so 1) they know what they’re looking for and 2) if there’s another cause, they can provide you feedback as to what they actually think might be going on. 

And, if it does turn out to be a Sonos issue, the programmers have data to look at.