Sonos Off Shore support...

I’m an authorized Sonos dealer.  Installed a system 6 months ago in a cabin 100 miles from my office, configured system with S2 on my Android tablet, system working fine when I last left it.  Customer does not use cabin during winter.

I wanted to know how to completely delete the current Android configuration created with my company credentials and start with a clean install on customer’s iPad.  Sonos agent wasn’t sure how deleting configuration would affect Sonos upgrades or any other effects.

As another option, I had questions on transferring the system to customers account that’s to be created next week on their iPad.  Needed to know if a 1 - Boost, 3 - Amp configuration created on a current Android tablet to an iPad will transfer without a complications.  I’d prefer to delete and start from scratch but need a possible back up.

Complete frustration with call - escalated and told best they could do is email transfer instructions (Android to Android?) just before call dropped. Both conversations difficult to hear due to intermittent drop outs.  (Wife established off-shore call centers in India for a major European bank, I’m familiar with how things work...)

Sonos agent would not transfer to U.S. based support. Do dealers have a direct support line, preferably U.S. based?  I apologize for things I’m probably missing, just need to make sure there are no complications when with the customer next week.  Going thru Sonos support like I just did would not give a sense of confidence to the customer or me.

Thanks,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Configurations are not stored on the controlling device (android, iPad, etc) but on the speakers themselves. When you do a setup, you’ll be asked to create an account with an email account.  For your cabin customer’s home, if you used they’re email account instead of your own, then there should be no issue.  They can install the Sonos S2 app on their iPad, connect to the WiFi and be able to control the system.  Even if you did use your email and not the client’s email address,  they still would be able to perform basic control of the system, they just wouldn’t have access to some configuration.

If you need to transfer ownership from your account to the client.  The easiest way to do that is to do a factory reset of the units and start over again with the correct account.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Hi Danny, and thanks for the response.

The install was configured on my tablet (not the customers).  Their iPad wasn’t available at the time.  Part of my uncertainty was whether or not, or what configs are stored on the devices only or on a Sonos cloud.

As the owner of the system the client should have access to all configurations - plus I don’t want to have access, in any form, to their system or possible follow up phone calls from them by them not having full access.  Happy to serve the client, just don’t want to force a call to me when they want to change something.  

I asked Sonos support about a full reset - they weren’t sure what portions of the original set up would, or would not be saved.  So, my question.  

I’ll go ahead with the full factory reset.  Thanks again for getting in touch.

Aso, does anyone know if doing a factory reset deletes Sonus upgrades to the devices?  I assume yes but...

Hi Danny, and thanks for the response.

The install was configured on my tablet (not the customers).  Their iPad wasn’t available at the time.  Part of my uncertainty was whether or not, or what configs are stored on the devices only or on a Sonos cloud.

As I stated before, none of the configuration is stored on your tablet, configurations are stored on the Sonos speakers themselves.

As the owner of the system the client should have access to all configurations - plus I don’t want to have access, in any form, to their system or possible follow up phone calls from them by them not having full access.  Happy to serve the client, just don’t want to force a call to me when they want to change something.  

Which is why you should set these up with a client email address for the Sonos account.

I asked Sonos support about a full reset - they weren’t sure what portions of the original set up would, or would not be saved.  So, my question.  

I’ll go ahead with the full factory reset.  Thanks again for getting in touch.

There won’t be any configuration saved after a factory reset.  It will be as if it came out of the box for the first time.

Aso, does anyone know if doing a factory reset deletes Sonus upgrades to the devices?  I assume yes but...

By upgrade, do you mean updates to firmware on the speakers?   Factory resets will not remove those.  What ever version of firmware the speakers on, they will still be on after factory reset.   

If you install a speaker for the first time (not after factory reset) you likely will be asked to update the firmware.  That’s because the speaker may likely was installed with a previous version before shipment.

Hi (again):  Just to be clear, this installation consists of 3 ea. AMP’s and 1 ea. Boost.

Based on what occurs to speakers I assume firmware updates will remain in the AMP’s after a factory reset, if not I’ll assume they’ll pull an update when started (like when fresh out of the box).

Not trying to be redundant, just using this as a learning lesson for me.  

Thank you again for your help.  Much appreciated.