Answered

Sonos Five Pair, Can you use both aux line-ins?

• 30 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Forgive me if this has been asked many times before, just couldn't find a thread with my requirements. 

I'm about to receive my 2nd Five to form a stereo pair.

I currently use Roon via an endpoint and Dragonfly Cobalt DAC to aux line-in. I find I get better sound quality this way over using Tidal/Qobuz through the Sonos app or Tidal Connect.

I do watch movies and want to simplify my current mess of HomePods and Apple TV but don't want a soundbar. I plan to use the Fives in stereo and will likely use a DAC from TV to aux line-in on one of the Fives. TV watching is not my priority so sound quality isn't important.

As I use Roon as per above, can I use both aux line-ins (not at the same time), if so will they play out of both speakers?

Thanks in advance 

icon

Best answer by ratty 30 June 2022, 22:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Yes. Each Line-In of a stereo pair is independently selectable. 

It’s worth pointing out that Line-In is not designed for TV audio. It has a minimum delay of 75ms, which could noticeably upset lip-sync. 

Update for those who care. 😉

I have both Five's in stereo. I have my Roon endpoint with Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt in to the rights line-in. A TV via optical into a Topping E30 DAC into the left line-in. I've setup autoplay volumes and line-in volunes as needed and a max volume overall. My Apple TV remote controls the volume of the Topping E30 (set it -20dB before setting autoplay to allow going higher or lower in volume as needed).

I have audio delay set for 75ms for the Topping E30/Apple TV and there is no ill effects of lip sync issues.

I have used Sonos S2 app with Tidal and I prefer the sound from the Roon endpoint with Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt DAC. Also the sound quality from TV through the Topping E30 is pretty sweet too.

I had concerns of the digital to analogue to digital to analogue conversions due using external DACs to the line-ins. However I believe the ADAC in the Fives is just applying the Trueplay and DSP as set.

All good really.

Cheers Ratty

I’m hoping the lip sync issue will be sorted via the Apple TV audio sync function. Or I’ll try Airplay.