sonos arc mount and hdmi arc

• 19 May 2020
  • 6 replies

I just pre ordered a Sonos arc to upgrade from the playbar, I have a couple questions, the playbar mount does not work with arc ? And my tv has a Port that says Arc, not Earc? What would be the difference in sound quality ? 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

The Sonos Arc is designed with one connection an HDMI ARC/eARC connection to be connected with your TV. You’ll want to have the sources of your content (Apple TV and all the rest) plugged right into the TV, and from there, use the HDMI ARC to the Sonos Arc. That way you get audio from all sources, and the TV will handle the work (hopefully including giving you Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus). 

Further: I read the Apple article you cited (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069) … and it includes a schematic for connection that may not work with the new Arc … or does it? Please let me know. Thanks.

Some soundbars have multiple connections for HDMI, the Sonos Arc does not.

Badge

Further: I read the Apple article you cited (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069) … and it includes a schematic for connection that may not work with the new Arc … or does it? Please let me know. Thanks.

Badge

Thank you for the helpful response. I feel like the old TV character Columbo: I have just one more question … but what is the best way to connect the new Arc given the Apple TV in the mix? I have it working great with my playbar but of course that runs from the HDMI ARC port to the ATV and has an optical connection too which I assume goes away. So if I install the Arc and set up with direct connect to the ARC port … how then do I connect the ATV so I can use the new Arc for its sound?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi BurgessKoch, there’s a lot of confusing or just conflicting info out there regarding the Apple TV and Atmos. I have an answer made here to someone with similar questions, but I’ll post the same info here for others to find too.

Most likely you’ll get Dolby Digital Plus with that TV over HDMI Arc, which is capable of passing compressed Dolby Atmos content when it’s available from the source. Not all content from the Apple TV will have Atmos content, just like not all Netflix shows (or content from anywhere else) have Atmos. The Sonos Arc will play Atmos from Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby MAT, you just have to get that audio to us. 

I’ve checked with some people who have tested the Sonos Arc with Apple TV and some of them have gotten Atmos content even without eARC connections, so ultimately I think it depends on your TV and if it can send the Dolby Atmos signal over HDMI ARC.

This really depends on the TV’s capabilities. From what others have posted, and what’s shared on their page here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069, the Apple TV’s Atmos content will only be playable when using HDMI eARC from your TV to your soundbar, because they claim to be only using the high quality formats capable of Dolby Atmos (Dolby MAT). Which sounds like if you don’t have eARC on your TV, you can’t get Atmos from Apple TV. However, from what I’ve seen and heard, there are a lot of TVs that will compress that Dolby MAT with Atmos signal and send it over HDMI ARC in a Dolby Digital Plus format, which is compressed but has Atmos support. Apple claims that they use Dolby MAT for Atmos, which requires eARC. But some TVs will convert that audio into Dolby Digital Plus, including Atmos.

Badge

Thank you Ryan S. for the crisp and helpful answers.

To build on your answers: I’ve seen a number of answers about the interoperability -- or lack thereof -- between Apple TV 4K and the new Sonos Arc. Will those of us who have both and just an ARC passthrough not eARC capability on our TVs (mine is late 2018 Samsung Q9F) be able to still play our ATV’s through the new Arc sound bar? If so, will we be able to experience the full Sonos Arc experience or just a more limited one? Hope my non-technical way of asking makes sense.

Thank you in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Willy, I hope you love it!

The Playbar mount is the wrong size for the Arc. Arc is longer and has a pretty different footprint, it’s also heavier. I believe that the Arc wallmount was designed to use the same drill holes in the wall that the Playbar uses.

Your second answer is a bit more technical and I’ll go into it, but I just want to be clear that it’s going to sound great and you’ll likely be able to get Atmos audio (assuming your TV has passthrough). 

The biggest difference in sound quality between HDMI ARC vs eARC is that the lossless audio formats which carry Atmos are unable to transmit over ARC. Most streaming services that have Atmos content send it over Dolby Digital Plus, which is the compressed version capable of going over HDMI ARC, so if that’s mostly your video watching, there wouldn’t be much of a difference. If you have a lot of Blu-rays with Dolby TrueHD audio than the audio would be converted to the lower quality format.