Sonos app on Windows 10 not working for Intune managed devices

Hi!

we are rolling out Intune in our company. 

we have a few test devices. On very small, but annoying problem, is that the Sonos app does not work, resp. cannot find the speaker on devices that are managed by Intune. The speaker itself is on the domain network via ethernet.

I have worked with our IT provider but other than wasting time, we have not figured out what the problem is. The firewall rules for Sonos app and SonosService remain unticked in the allow app through firewall for all 3, domain, private and public.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Jonas

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Do any of the following apply?

Unsupported network setups and devices

• Wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or LTE routers
  • Guest networks or networks that use a portal login page
  • Networks using wireless range extenders
  • Ethernet over Power (EOP) devices
  • WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Does your VPN have an option for split-tunneling? That will be required for local network access, which Sonos needs.

@John B non of the above apply. Computers are all connected to the local network via ethernet, so is the Sonos speaker.

PC’s that are not intune managed can access the speaker using the sonos app without any issues. as soon as a computer is intune managed the sonos app stops working (as in: it cannot find the speaker).

I think it has something to do with the Intune configuration. however, I cannot figure it out. all other apps are working as normally.

So my test laptop is managed via Intune. Strange is that when I’m at home where I have several Sonos speakers, the Sonos app on my test laptop can connect to those speakers. the network at my home is classified as Private network, where as the network at work is classified as domain network. the test laptop cannot connect to the sonos speaker at work. as soon as I un-enrol from Intune, the test laptop can connect again.

@controlav the speaker is connected to the local (domain) network. we are only accessing the speaker locally.

Not overly familiar with Intune, but it sure sounds like it is acting as a VPN, and blocking the connections from your speakers to the controller on running on your computer. Have you asked Intune about this?

@Airgetlam not too sure how this is being handled. however, I have no issues accessing other local devices (mostly via https) or the local SQL server. I would need to raise a ticket with Microsoft.

Other devices don’t connect in the same way. Sonos devices are computers, that reach out to the controller running on your computer. Most other devices are controlled from your computer to that device. The other devices are essentially clients of your computer, Sonos devices are ‘other computers’ running their own OS and communicating back. 

@Airgetlam thanks for the clarification. this would then point to an inbound problem?

That would be my assumption, without much knowledge. I’d think/guess Intune is blocking the connection from the external Sonos computer to the Sonos controller, which is typical (IMHO) of a VPN/Firewall issue. I’d think Intune would have run into this before, which is why I asked if you’d contacted them. I’d hope Sonos has some knowledge, but as the issue isn’t really with Sonos’ software, it’s hard for me to expect too much. I expect Sonos CS to be much more familiar with their own issues, and not intune’s. 

That being said, I suspect there are more folks out there like you (and my company is considering Intune as well), so if you find an answer, posting it here might not only help the Sonos folks build a FAQ, but also help denizens of this forum in the future. 

Thanks @Airgetlam , I’ll post back when I know more.

@John BIntune. Strange is that when I’m at home where I have several Sonos speakers, the Sonos app on my test laptop can connect to those speakers. the network at my home is classified as Private network, where as the network at work is classified as domain network. the test laptop cannot connect to the sonos speaker at work. as soon as I un-enrol from Intune, the test laptop can connect again.

There have been times when a Windows update has unhelpfully reclassified my network from Private to Public, thereby disabling Sonos until I realised what had happened and set it back to Private. The crucial difference, I believe, is the difference in file sharing permissions.  Whether that is relevant in your case I couldn’t say.