Sonos and Plex Broken Again!

Hi Sonos,

Why is it that Plex always fails for me?

I was listening to my music for 2 days without problem and today with no changes made, it stopped working.

My library is reachable from the internet and all my other devices.

I can see my Plex librarys and artwork in Sonos.

When I hit play, it attempts and then fails with unable to play 'SONG' - Unable to connect to Plex.

My workaround is to play my music via plex on my TV and use line in on Sonos. Kind of defeats the purpose of Sonos.

I have uploaded my logs under: 702102281.

Please assist. It shouldn't be this hard!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Suggest asking Plex why their stuff isn't working for you.
Hi Controlav, this is part of the problem.

Plex blames Sonos. Sonos blames Plex. The customer is is left suffering and unhappy with both Plex and Sonos.

With the amount of complaints in this forum regarding Sonos and Plex, I wonder why Plex even made it out of Sonos Labs?

For my issue, I have it working fine with a friend's music library. I f I add a friend's shared Plex library to my Sonos, I can play their music fine.

I have shared my plex library with a friend and they have added this to their Sonos and can play my share plex libraries without issue.

Any suggestions that may allow me to play my own music?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Any suggestions that may allow me to play my own music?

Sorry, I've never used Plex. When I occasionally go old-school and want to play my own music files, I just use the normal file sharing from my PC.
Adding the files directly to my Sonos library is where I started. It works great for much of my music until it starts to hit my flac encoded shows that are recorded at a higher bit rate than the Sonos app supports.

Plex was going to be my workaround to this.
Hopefully this tip will save someone else some time.

Physically unplugged my speaker from power for 30 seconds. After reboot, I can play my entire Plex library.

Thanks for no support Sonos!

Physically unplugged my speaker from power for 30 seconds. After reboot, I can play my entire Plex library.

Just for future reference purposes, this is a mainly a user forum area, where the Sonos Staff may not have even seen your posts in this thread. You could have contacted them direct using their publicised 24/7 customer links, as shown below. Customer Care are normally quick to respond to any issues via these usual channels:

Contact Sonos Customer Care
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Seriously, it's step 1 in troubleshooting any electronic device/computer.
Doesn't reset contoller do the same? That was done several times before removing power.
No. No more than removing the batteries from your TV's remote control fixes the TV set.

Just for future reference purposes, this is a mainly a user forum area, where the Sonos Staff may not have even seen your posts in this thread. You could have contacted them direct using their publicised 24/7 customer links, as shown below. Customer Care are normally quick to respond to any issues via these usual channels:

Contact Sonos Customer Care

Thanks for sharing the link. I wish I had that to start with. I must have missed that option here: https://www.sonos.com/en-au/support
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Doesn't reset contoller do the same? That was done several times before removing power.

That's resetting the connection between controller (your phone) and Sonos.

But not Sonos and your network, or Sonos and Plex.

That's resetting the connection between controller (your phone) and Sonos.

But not Sonos and your network, or Sonos and Plex.

Understood, thanks for the clarification.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Yeah not a problem. The more you understand how everything communicates to each other, the easier it is to troubleshoot.

And after all, when all else fails. Just reboot. 🙂