Answered

Sonos and Mesh wifi (BT Whole Home - UK)

• 22 September 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi There,

I've been having certain issues with my Sonos system for a while. Random disconnects, speakers not displaying in the app, unable to play songs/add songs to a queue from my phone whilst i'm moving around the house. My existing set up is a Virgin Media Super Hub 3, in router mode and WiFi disabled, connected to the main BT Mesh Node. There are 2 other secondary BT mesh nodes in other rooms in the house. My sonos speakers (Playbar + Play 1 surrounds, Play 3, and Play 5 Gen 1) all connect wirelessly.

As such, i'm thinking about transitioning over to SonosNet to see if it can help sort the issues i face.

Unfortunately, the router/primary mesh node is located in a place where it makes no sense to have a speaker. As such, i'm wondering whether anyone has successfully tried connecting a Sonos speaker to a secondary wifi node via ethernet, and whether that successfully creates the SonosNet Mesh and allows for a useable system. One of my secondary nodes is located next to my Play 5, so if that was a workable setup, it would be preferable to needing to buy a Boost and connect that to the router.

If the Boost were the most sensible suggestion, however, would i need to wire it to the Virgin Router, or Primary mesh node attached to the router?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 22 September 2021, 17:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mart1984 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’d just like to add to what @GuitarSuperstar said and point out that if you ethernet-wire 2 or more Sonos devices directly to a Virgin Super Hub 3 specifically, it will create problems with the entire network. If you do need to connect two devices, please do so via a network switch.

Regarding connecting Boost to a secondary node, it can go both ways. If the node has a decent backhaul signal to the main node, it may work just fine. No promises, however, as it’s an unsupported setup - if you were ever to call in with further issues, it’s the first thing we’d suggest changing.

Being the lucky owner of a Super Hub 3 myself, I’m very aware of a common issue some units have. Could you please submit a diagnostic and reply here with the number given? I’ll check if you’re being affected. Thanks.

Userlevel 7

You can try wiring the Play:5 to the secondary node to see if it makes a difference, but it is recommended to wire a speaker to the primary router (Virgin). If you go with a Boost, it needs to be wired to the Virgin router too.