Question

Sonos Amp with multiple speakers using impedance matching volume controllers

• 19 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Help!!!

I am trying to run multiple zones off of one amp using a connecting block to keep wiring tidy and impedance volume controllers on each zone. I do understand that my wattage per speaker will be low, but I wanted to try it to see how loud they would be, then would look at buying a second amp if necessary... I dont really need to be able to play multiple things in different areas, and all of these speakers/impedance matching volume controllers etc are already wired in the house.

I have:
1x sonos amp
1x Russound connecting block (essentially a splitter)
-one wire from connecting block to amp
-I have 6 zones (2 speakers per zone) on the connecting block
6x Russound ALT 2x impedance matching volume controls: 126w peak, 42w RMS. Allowable impedance multipliers of 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x for each speaker

-two speakers connected to each volume control (L and R speaker)

12x Russound RSF 610: 5-80w 8ohms

I have tried a setup with 5.3ohms (6 zones, 4x impedance multiplier per zone) and 10.6ohms (6 zones, 8x impedance multiplier per zone) but both fault out the amp right away... Any ideas?

The specs of the sonos amp are 125w at 8ohms per channel, or 250w at 4 ohms (they say you can connect two 8 ohm speakers in parallel per channel)…  So i should be within that range 

Cheers!

Jesse

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Jesse L, welcome to the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

Just to let you know that we need to use the provided banana plugs when connecting four speakers to your Amp or connecting six Sonos Architectural speakers to your Amp. Attaching six speakers of a different impedance could cause your Amp to a fault. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.