Question

Sonos Amp stopped playing surround w/ playbar

• 19 August 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge
In my setup, I have a Playbar and Sub connected by wifi and a wired Sonos Amp powering ceiling speakers as surrounds. This setup worked PERFECTLY for a month. It recently stopped and I only noticed because when I wanted to retune TruePlay it wouldn’t complete saying it couldn’t hear some speakers. I unbonded the Amp and it plays as it’s own zone just fine. My network is run by a stable Ubiquiti USG router.

Things I’ve tried:

-turning surround off and back on again in room settings
-ensuring it’s set to full instead of ambient
-disabling wifi on Amp
-factory reset of Playbar
-factory reset of Amp

Submitted diagnostics: 1096460538

Thank you for your help,
Jeff

9 replies

Badge
Also just tried rebooting the router. Very choked to lose this ability when it worked so perfectly before. Loved the ambient setting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi jamthetram

Try this
  1. Unplug your Sonos.
  2. Check you routers admin page for updates and apply them if available.
  3. Power cycle your router
  4. Power cycle your iOS/Android device
  5. Make sure the Sonos App is up-to-date
  6. Plug in your Sonos
  7. Test your Sonos
FYI, Sonos will not Trueplay 3rd party speakers. Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers!
Badge
I will try that but I suspect it is some sort of Sonos networking issue.

Sonos absolutely does Truetune in this configuration...

1. It needs to truetune the playbar and sub, and it needs to figure out the distance of the surrounds
  2. It did it the first time and worked flawlessly.
  3. It is requesting to truetune and just errors out.
  4. My primary problem is that it's not even playing anything at all
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I will try that but I suspect it is some sort of Sonos networking issue.

Sonos absolutely does Truetune in this configuration...

1. It needs to truetune the playbar and sub, and it needs to figure out the distance of the surrounds
  2. It did it the first time and worked flawlessly.
  3. It is requesting to truetune and just errors out.
  4. My primary problem is that it's not even playing anything at all

Hi Jeff,

It looks like you've disabled the wireless on your Amp as it is wired in to the network. In a home theater configuration this can cause issues. You can wire in the Playbar as well, or run them both wirelessly, but the Playbar would need to be wired in if your Amp is wired in. This page goes into more detail.

Send along a new report if you're still having trouble getting everything working.
Badge
Hi JeffS,

Thanks for your very prompt help. I unplugged the Sonos amp from the daisy chain of Ethernet cables and it started working again...for 30 minutes. To recap:

1. unplugged that Sonos amp from ethernet
  2. Factory reset amp and readded as surround
  3. everything worked, even truetune. Much excitement!!!
  4. 30 minutes later, surround disappears again and in the app under room settings shows up as (playbar+sub+?+?)
  5. Tried to reset and add again, same thing, works for awhile then disappears.
I should note I have a 3 connect amps, 4 Sonos amps (all ethernet and powering ceiling speakers, except the amp that I just turned to wifi) and 3 play1s running on wifi. The playbar and sub are also wifi.

here is a new diagnostic. 645968154

Thank you again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for the new report. Resetting the device won't change anything, and will limit the information in the reports. There is a fair amount of wireless interference showing up between the Amp and Playbar. Please look around those units for any third party device which could cause 5 ghz interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phone bases, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, and third party wireless audio equipment. Try moving away any such devices and see if that helps.
Badge
Could be the 5 Ubiquiti WAPs around the house...I haven’t properly heatmapped and turned their transmit power down yet.

I will try wiring playbar and amp both with ethernet but is the sub still ok on its own on wifi?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Could be the 5 Ubiquiti WAPs around the house...I haven’t properly heatmapped and turned their transmit power down yet.

I will try wiring playbar and amp both with ethernet but is the sub still ok on its own on wifi?

That can definitely be an issue. Right now your Sonos system is on wireless channel 6, which is a bit crowded. This is the 2.4 channel, which is different from the 5 ghz channel your Playbar and Amp use for home theater audio traffic. Your Ubiquiti system may have a 5 ghz signal, in which case you'll want to make sure there are no access points near your home theater setup.

It would likely help to make sure your Ubiquiti system has all its wireless access points set to the same wireless channel, and one that is different than your Sonos system's. I'd recommend setting your Sonos to channel 1, and using channels 6 or 11 for your Ubiquiti system.
Badge
So I have both the playbar and amp hooked up via ethernet now. Everything seems to be working perfectly and has been for the past few hours. Maybe this is it!!