Answered

Sonos AMP as Surround doesnt work on Ethernet

• 31 May 2021
  • 5 replies

I have a system that consists of an ARC + Sub + AMP surrounds.

In order to reduce the amount of competition/traffic on my WiFi I am looking to move these devices over to Ethernet.  The first device with the necessary wiring is the AMP.  Once I Disable WiFi, the music will not play thru them.  They show up as part of the system.  Under “About My System” I can see that it is getting an IP Address.  It is part of the default VLAN and I can ping it from other devices on the same network.

If I re-enable WiFi, they work fine as Surrounds.

icon

Best answer by John B 31 May 2021, 15:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi.  You have disabled all wireless capability on the Arc when you 'disabled WiFi', making it impossible for the Arc to communicate with the Amp in the way required.

The Arc communicates with the Amp using direct routing over 5GHz. 

If you wire the Amp as well then it will probably work, but not as designed. 

Thank you for your response.

I have to admit I’m a little am disappointed.  What is the point of offering to disable wireless if it makes the unit unable to communicate with other devices?

What about if all 3 units are wired?  The Arc, the Amp, and the Sub.

Not sure why you are disappointed. 

The option is designed for fully wired installations. So yes, it should be OK if you wire everything.

I guess I’m disappointed that a mixed wired/wireless setup isn’t an option.  I did a fair amount of Googling, and found no such caveat to such a deployment.  Perhaps more obviously, when you disable WiFi, the system should warn you “disabling wireless on a single system does not work.  You must disable at the Room-level or higher.”

For an otherwise user-friendly, novice-friendly system, this is a glaring gap that could easily be detected, prevented, or made obvious to any user.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Many folks here have been telling Sonos over and over that a simple change to the menu wording there from WiFi to Radio would end much of the confusion.