Answered

Sonos 5 Gen 2 audio input from Samsung TV via input jack

• 11 November 2019
  • 13 replies

By using a converter, I have analog audio output from my Samsung TV.  This works when tested to plug into a small speaker, but I want is audio output to drive my Sonos 5, via its audio input jack.  But when I plug into the Sonos 5, nothing.  I know this is not a “supported” function by Sonos, but even Sonos support people say this should work, although no guarantees about quality.  Nevertheless, it doesn’t work at all for me;  (the speaker works fine with Sonos controller for other music sources).  I’d be most grateful for ideas here to allow the Sonos 5 to be driven by audio input to its audio in jack.  Thank you.

Peter   

icon

Best answer by pwt 15 November 2019, 21:27

Good thought.  I tested this out - the hum is there when just putting the speaker in “line-in” mode - even without the TV audio output.  So maybe there’s a grounding issue?  But the speaker and TV are grounded by the electrical connection.  Where do I look now?  Many thanks.

Peter

Note that you shouldn’t be able to select the Line-In input at all unless there’s a cable plugged into the P:5 socket. If you can, it points to an electrical fault with the P:5.

If you left the cable plugged in, make sure you try a different cable. I’ve had far more problems with cables over the years than with the electronics they connect.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

You may be having issues with the line level in to the Sonos system. I’m inferring that you control the volume of the output from the TV. Set it to at least 50% and then play with the line in sensitivity of the Sonos. Sonos is expecting a line level input, not a variable one. 

Thank you for your thoughts.  It turns out I have a Sonos 5 Gen 1 (not 2).  I turned the TV volume all the way up; the Sonos controller too.  Still no audio output from the Sonos 5.  

Any further thoughts appreciated.

Peter

Gen 1 or gen 2 wouldn’t make any difference, operationally. Just the age of the hardware.  Do you have another device to test with, like a phone with a headphone jack, an old CD player, etc? It is possible that their might be a failure with the line in on the speaker, but I consider that a low chance. Would be worth confirming by trying a different (and line level, if possible) device. Remove one variable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Even of this worked you will have the 70ms latency so the lip sync will be off and drive you crazy. Suggest you get a designed-for-TV device (eg Beam) instead and use optical or HDMI which doesnt have the latency problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you for your thoughts.  It turns out I have a Sonos 5 Gen 1 (not 2).  I turned the TV volume all the way up; the Sonos controller too.  Still no audio output from the Sonos 5.  

Any further thoughts appreciated.

Peter

Have you set the Play:5 to play from its Line-In input as the audio source?

Browse > Line-In > (Select P:5).

(Also, make sure you’re using the Line-In socket on the P:5gen1, not the headphone socket by mistake.)

Many thanks.  I now think a defect in the 5 input jack - I note it’s a little wobbly.  Oh well.

Peter 

May be a good time to take advantage of the 30% upgrade offer and get a gen 2. Or do some shopping on eBay.

And, a random thought, the PLAY:5 gen 1 has both a headphone jack and a line in jack. Double check you’re using the right one ;)

So we’re getting a little closer.  I was able to replace the audio-in jack - and now I indeed do get TV audio output!  But it is associated with an unbearable hum when the 5 is set to line in.  When set to simple Sonos music audio output, the audio is perfect. Connections are solid throughout.    Any thoughts on how to get rid of the audio-in hum?

Many thanks.

Peter

Hums are often associated with improperly grounded (or earthed?) devices. That being said, it can also be associated with an inappropriate level signal coming in on the input. In your case, it might be worth playing with the TVs output signal. This is why it’s generally expected that a line in is from a fixed “line level” output, and not a variable output such as you’re using. 

Good thought.  I tested this out - the hum is there when just putting the speaker in “line-in” mode - even without the TV audio output.  So maybe there’s a grounding issue?  But the speaker and TV are grounded by the electrical connection.  Where do I look now?  Many thanks.

Peter

Beyond trying a different cable, we’re at the point that my knowledge stops. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Peter

Note that you shouldn’t be able to select the Line-In input at all unless there’s a cable plugged into the P:5 socket. If you can, it points to an electrical fault with the P:5.

If you left the cable plugged in, make sure you try a different cable. I’ve had far more problems with cables over the years than with the electronics they connect.

BINGO!!!  It was the gosh darn Cable (which was new!). When I  Plugging the speaker directly to the analog converter (no extension cable), no hum, and good speaker output.  I just ordered a new cable.  Go figure.

You’ve all been so helpful!!  Saved my project.

Many Many thanks.

Peter